Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been an ongoing battle for a year and a half now, and I've tried to let Safari do the right thing before putting it into a public forum like this. At this point, it's simply unacceptable. I bought a set of middle doors from SafariHP last June for $2500. They arrived, and were sitting still in the box for around a month before I had time to mount them. When I opened the box, they were very damaged. Tons of dings, and would not even line up properly on the body. I contacted Stephen Peters at SafariHP, and I have emails from him claiming they were not in that condition when they left the shop. He sent UPS labels for them to be returned, and we arranged pickup. SafariHP has had the doors back for over a year now. Stephen claims to be doing some sort of insurance process with UPS, however, at this point he won't even return my calls, and hasn't for the past 6 months. Even if the insurance is with UPS, that is between SafariHP and UPS; I should be refunded the purchase price. He has the doors in hand.

Just thought everyone else should know, before doing any sort of business with them.

·
Premium Member
9,266 Posts
Steven does not strike me as the sort of guy who would conduct business in this manner.
At this point would it be possible to accept a different set of doors at say shipping cost while he sorts out the insurance?
$2,500 is not a trivial amount to be forgotten in some sort of insurance loss.

BTW: I don't ever ship UPS.
I use fedex because UPS is a pain in the ass and rarely do you meet anyone working in the office that is anything other than rude and with a chip on their shoulder.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steven does not strike me as the sort of guy who would conduct business in this manner.
At this point would it be possible to accept a different set of doors at say shipping cost while he sorts out the insurance?
$2,500 is not a trivial amount to be forgotten in some sort of insurance loss.

BTW: I don't ever ship UPS.
I use fedex because UPS is a pain in the ass and rarely do you meet anyone working in the office that is anything other than rude and with a chip on their shoulder.
I've already purchased other doors. I'd be more than willing to work something out, but like I said, at this point he's not even returning my calls, and it was like pulling teeth to get any sort of response from him for the first 6 months.

·
Premium Member
9,266 Posts
I've already purchased other doors. I'd be more than willing to work something out, but like I said, at this point he's not even returning my calls, and it was like pulling teeth to get any sort of response from him for the first 6 months.
There has to be an amenable solution.
Perhaps Peter would accept a credit or trade for your $2,500 purchase amount in other parts residing at Safari HP?
Then you could get other stuff you need or could sell.
I know this is probably not your first choice, but looks like your first choice has not been fulfilled by Safari HP.
When your very busy like Steven, it's easy to get very far behind in taking care of the things you would rather avoid because you hate to deal with them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There has to be an amenable solution.
Perhaps Peter would accept a credit or trade for your $2,500 purchase amount in other parts residing at Safari HP?
Then you could get other stuff you need or could sell.
I know this is probably not your first choice, but looks like your first choice has not been fulfilled by Safari HP.
When your very busy like Steven, it's easy to get very far behind in taking care of the things you would rather avoid because you hate to deal with them.
Yeah, I'd be just fine with this. If he would actually call me, we could work it out.

·
Premium Member
9,266 Posts
Yeah, I'd be just fine with this. If he would actually call me, we could work it out.
Everyone wants to see a problem go away.
Raub stopped by there a few years ago and picked up some Puma hoods for Mark the "G" man and I.
Raub said Safari HP had a lot of parts, lots and lots of parts.
Parts could be the basis for an equitable solution.
Just trying to make suggestions, technically this is none of my business and between you and Peter, but good to know.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After posting this, I finally received a reply from SafariHP. They're offering me a check from UPS for $1043, less than half of the total price. They're also claiming that this is somehow a "complete loss" for them, because they cannot re-sell the doors. I'm not sure how it's a "total loss" for SafariHP when they still have the $2500 that I paid for the doors.

I'm actually even more disappointed in them now than I was before.

·
Registered
391 Posts
After posting this, I finally received a reply from SafariHP. They're offering me a check from UPS for $1043, less than half of the total price. They're also claiming that this is somehow a "complete loss" for them, because they cannot re-sell the doors. I'm not sure how it's a "total loss" for SafariHP when they still have the $2500 that I paid for the doors.

What tomfuckery is that? So they sold you doors, which you perceived as defective, and you promptly returned and now they are just cutting you a check? All or none.

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
If he accepted the return of the parts, he cannot keep all of the money. Horrible.
This is pretty surprising for Stephen, I hope that he makes it right.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What tomfuckery is that? So they sold you doors, which you perceived as defective, and you promptly returned and now they are just cutting you a check? All or none.
They're claiming I didn't notify them in time, because they were sitting for a month before I opened the boxes to mount them. However, I have old emails from Stephen where this was never brought up as a concern. The only thing that was said by him "They didn't leave the shop in that condition, return them and I will start a UPS insurance claim."

I'm most frustrated about the lack of communication, and the changing stories. The money is honestly less important to me.

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts

It's up to Stephen to properly insure deliveries. That's not your problem. He needs to make this right. If not, just take him to small claims court. Did you pay with a credit card? (maybe you mentioned that)

------ Follow up post added November 14th, 2019 04:12 PM ------

They're claiming I didn't notify them in time, because they were sitting for a month before I opened the boxes to mount them.
Did they disclose that to you when you made the purchase? Is it in writing?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's up to Stephen to properly insure deliveries. That's not your problem. He needs to make this right. If not, just take him to small claims court. Did you pay with a credit card? (maybe you mentioned that)

------ Follow up post added November 14th, 2019 04:12 PM ------

Did they disclose that to you when you made the purchase? Is it in writing?
They say their shipping policy was attached to the outside of the box, which is quite convenient - because they have the boxes.

I paid via paypal, and unfortunately it seems to have been too long ago to dispute. I was expecting him to do the right thing, I didn't think I would have to go down that path. I honestly waited so long to post this for the same reason.

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
They say their shipping policy was attached to the outside of the box, which is quite convenient - because they have the boxes.

I paid via paypal, and unfortunately it seems to have been too long ago to dispute. I was expecting him to do the right thing, I didn't think I would have to go down that path.
The reputable thing to do is to refund your money, assuming what happened is indeed what happened. But hey, this is why we have the court system.

·
Premium Member
7,152 Posts
Ive done a lot of business with these guys over the years and my experience is they are more likely to cut their own throats than stab someone in the back. Doors are notoriously difficult to ship without damaging them. Surprised they agreed to any refund after 30 days.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ive done a lot of business with these guys over the years and my experience is they are more likely to cut their own throats than stab someone in the back. Doors are notoriously difficult to ship without damaging them. Surprised they agreed to any refund after 30 days.
There isn't any refund. All they're offering me is the insurance check they received from UPS. They still have the full $2500 I paid. No money is coming out of their pocket here, so I have no idea how they're claiming it's a "complete loss" for them.

·
Super Moderator
12,045 Posts
Surprised they agreed to any refund after 30 days.
They took the parts back AND did not refund ANY money. It is theft.

You can't agree to accept the return of the parts and keep all of the money. You can have a restocking fee of some amount, but keeping the items and the money is not legal.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Good afternoon All

We are 100% guilty of not communicating nearly as much as we should have. This is not intentional, there is literally not enough hours in the day most days.

Justin purchased the doors on 05/14/18 for $2000.00 plus a total of $250.00 for shipping and packing of both doors for a grand total of $2250.00 this is according to our billing system and the actual credit card processing statement.

We were notified 54 days later via email that the doors arrived damage.

We send all packages out with a clearly noted store policy document attached to the outside of the package which states the following:

Safari HP Store Policies
These policies have been developed in our effort to serve you better…
Quality Assurance…
• Every part we sell is guaranteed against defects for one year from the purchase date. If the part does not perform as expected/needed, return the part within 30 days from the date of purchase for a refund or exchange.
Returns to avoid Restocking fee…
• Returns must be made in their original cartons and be in new, sale-able condition. Any returns after 30 days are subject to a 20% restocking fee, after 90 days are subject to a 40% restocking fee, and products returned after 6 months are subject to a 50% restocking fee. No returns will be accepted after one year from purchase date.
Damaged Shipments…
• All orders leave our warehouse in undamaged condition and packaged properly. The condition of any USED/NTO items is discussed with customer prior to sale and shipment.
• If your shipment’s packaging appears to be damaged/open upon delivery, check the contents in the presence of the driver. Do not sign for any damaged package.
• If there is any damage upon delivery, please contact us so that we may submit a claim on your behalf. Claims for damaged shipments must be made within 3 business days of receipt. If you sign for the package, a claim will not be processed.
Returning a part…
• Please pack parts well to avoid damage. We will not accept parts sent to us COD.
• Credit for returns will automatically be applied as credit on account unless otherwise specified.
• A copy of the invoice and a Merchandise Return Form (see reverse) along with a brief description of why the item is being returned, must accompany the item in the box. Enclose the return form in the package and return it by UPS or insured parcel post. We will not accept your return without this information.
• In the event that you have received a defective part, it will be replaced with another, if available, when returned within 30 days.
• All sales on USED items are “as-is” and final.
• ALL items must be returned shipping pre-paid. This includes duties, custom, and special handling charges, where applicable.
• Returns made in OUR ERROR may have your return shipping charges reimbursed based upon standard carrier fees.

On or about 09 JUL 2018 we filled a damage claim in hopes that UPS would cover the damage even though the claim was well outside of the published 14 days allotted by UPS and was not reported to SHP until 54 days after receipt.

UPS quickly denied this initial claim.

After UPS denied the claim we offered to ship the doors back at our own expense, which was nearly $300.00.

We then filled another claim in which UPS honored $1043.43, which was the most that can be done a return shipment. This refund was offered to Justin as soon as we cash the check.

We have countless hours fighting for a damage claim that was only partially approved well after we should have said very sorry but you waited 54 days to contact us to report damage. In hind sight I should have said sorry but we should have been notified within 3 days or receipt of the goods.

I do openly apologize for letting this go on for so long and for not communicating until the issue was resolved, my personal fault.
We are diligently working to get this matter resolved immediately.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts