Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello D-Source, I have been lurking around here for a while now, absorbing all the advice and knowledge. My dad and I imported a ’89 110 from the UK about 5 years ago. As is common, it had a lot of corrosion. About 2 years ago we built a 300TDI and swapped it in. During the swap we realized just how bad the corrosion was and that in the next couple years we were going to need a new frame and a full rebuild. But given time and money we did what we could to get as much life out of it as we could. I was making some long trips with it to and from school and was overall underwhelmed by the 300TDI. Maybe I had over fantasized how great it would be. Regardless, I made the decision to jump in the deep end and start with a full rebuild. This will be a way for me to document my work, absorb any and all advice you are willing to give, and hopefully be a help to others who may want to do the same.

Build goal is to balance capability off-road while also being a comfortable car to drive on long trips. I have been reading and researching for the last 6 months….

Expected Overview:
Cummins R2.8 (Quickdraw)
Ashcroft HD R380
Galv. Chassis
Plastic Tank
NEW SD 10 Point Roll-cage
2in Lift
Redo Interior
Rebuild axles at some point.. add lockers?

I already have a galv. bulkhead that I put in during the 300TDI swap, but will be doing a lot of work to the dash etc to get it in good shape. Have the old style ARB bumper in good shape and will be installing a winch. Have rock sliders in good shape. Have a NAS rear bumper that will need some love. Have already pulled motor/tranny/tcase out and have sold that so Ive got some funds to get started. I am home for christmas break and am getting started, but will have a few dead months till I graduate in the spring. No idea how long this build will take but the theme is NO SHORTCUTS!

Current updates to come shortly.

Here are some before pictures….
When we first picked it up from the port, import sticker still fresh on the windshield.
IMG_2672.jpeg

When we finished the 300TDI Swap and maiden voyage to Maine with 50 miles on the new motor.
IMG_5443.jpeg IMG_5670.jpeg

When we added the used NAS roll cage
IMG_6866.jpeg IMG_5124.jpeg

·
Registered
94 Posts
Best of luck with your restoration...looking forward to seeing it unfold here...I’m getting the R2.8 in a month or so if there are no delays on the engine itself...it seems to be a popular option right now. If you’re on FB check out the Land Rover Defender R2.8 page...it’s fairly new but is growing daily. Cheers

·
Registered
295 Posts
Definitely looking forward to following your progress, best of luck! Is your truck a factory color? If so, do you know what its called? My truck is a similar blue but was a repaint from orange so I have no way of knowing. 20200411_153252.jpg

·
Premium Member
1969 Ser IIA 300 tdi Hybrid,
834 Posts
Nice truck! I have done 4 ground up builds and probably love the build process as much as driving the thing. hahaha Hell, I just finished a 300tdi 90 build and went and purchased and the beginnings of a 300tdi 110 project today. hahaha The 2.8 is a great motor and you will not go wrong with it. Having said that, before you throw the 300tdi to the curb make sure you are getting the most out of it. So questions for you. Did you have the IP rebuilt? If so did they advance the pump timing? 1.4 degrees will give you a 10% power boost. Did you turn up the boost on the turbo? Stock factory boost on a 300 tdi is 13psi. You can advance the boost to 15 psi and still be in factory range. Basically from 1 bar to 2 bar with one full turn on the wastegate rod. Did you move the wastegate pickup? You can run the IP pump off the turbo housing and the wastegate from the manifold. This allows you to get the early fueling and real 15psi of boost. Do you have a regular intercooler? A double-core intercooler from Allisport makes a big difference. Except for the pump timing. Everything else is super easy to do and makes the 300tdi a great driver. Granted, It's never going to be a hot rod or race off from a traffic light but it's a truck and not a sports car. With these few mods, you will enjoy the drive much more and not beat the crap out of the motor. BOL with whatever you choose and enjoy the truck and the build process. Cheers, Scott

Reactions: hpat

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is your truck a factory color? If so, do you know what its called?
It is Cairns Blue. Im quite confident it is a factory land rover color but someone may correct me! I have multiple different shades of it on my truck thanks to a few different paint jobs...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is that a rebuilt tdi? What are you going to do with it?
It was rebuilt. I sold it a few months ago here on D-Source with tranny and t-case!

Having said that, before you throw the 300tdi to the curb make sure you are getting the most out of it. So questions for you
Thanks for the input Scott! Super useful info. Unfortunately I have already sold the TDI, but I did have the IP rebuilt and played with it a little. Looking back Im sure I could have done more, but like you said there is something enticing to a build and I'd probably lying if I said the thought of a new project didn't play some part in it. Theres absolutely pros and cons to each motor, but starting from the ground up I wanted to follow my dream build, and R2.8 seems to fit my goals and needs better.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got my frame in a few months ago… I went with a Marsland galvanized chassis but with their fairly new (I think) adaptor chassis. Instead of motor mounts its got thick plates welded on with threaded holes. I will CAD the motor mounts in Solidworks with the matching bolt pattern on the frame once I get the motor in, and will have them cut and burned and and they will bolt them to the frame. I found this attractive as it gives me the ability to create custom motor mounts without having to weld into the freshly galvanized chassis.

I bought it through Todd Reid at Select Offroad. He is a great guy and was super easy to work with, stayed in touch, and was willing to help in any way he could. I think he’s on this forum. I ordered the chassis with a TD5 rear crossmember and bought a used plastic tank. Got a non-fuel pump sender as Cummins recommends not using a fuel pump. Chassis seems very well done and happy with how it came out. Want to put a coat of paint on it as I think the black looks better and to make it easier to clean. Trying to figure out what the best way to paint the galv will be. Just something simple that will stick reasonably well for looks.

tempImagedxf6nO.jpg tempImageGtPeQ1.jpg tempImageI3QKqE.jpg IMG_1577.jpeg tempImageaAwpit.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
Painting galvy (what worked for me):
Powerwash and dry
Acetone wipe down
Light acid wash with CLR or 5 percent phosphoric acid
Acetone wipe down
2 coats epoxy primer
2 coats Interlux Perfection (black) with one can flattening agent added.

Topcoat can be any two part paint, the epoxy primer is the key to success. I now know I can get it in black and grey so were I to do it again I would go with the grey primer.
A MAPP torch and a blow gun will help clear out slubs runs and hooks from dripping. Same for little passageways, holes and the like where the galvy has globbed up a thing that needs to be cleared out. Get it hot so the zinc is melting then hit it with compressed air to blow out the excess. Wear eye protection!

Reactions: hpat and don

·
Premium Member
4,736 Posts
Painting galvy (what worked for me):
Powerwash and dry
Acetone wipe down
Light acid wash with CLR or 5 percent phosphoric acid
Acetone wipe down
2 coats epoxy primer
2 coats Interlux Perfection (black) with one can flattening agent added.

Topcoat can be any two part paint, the epoxy primer is the key to success. I now know I can get it in black and grey so were I to do it again I would go with the grey primer.
A MAPP torch and a blow gun will help clear out slubs runs and hooks from dripping. Same for little passageways, holes and the like where the galvy has globbed up a thing that needs to be cleared out. Get it hot so the zinc is melting then hit it with compressed air to blow out the excess. Wear eye protection!
If I am readying this correctly - you used the Interlux Perfection as the top coat over the epoxy primer?

Did you use Interlux for the epoxy primer? I would like to paint my galvy chassis as well this winter and was thinking of powder coating but I think going this direction would help save me some time and work.

Do you remember if you have any pictures on your build thread?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the roll cage off (and sold), rear tire carrier pulled off, and rock sliders off (not pictured).

IMG_1731.jpeg

When taking off the roll cage on the inside, part of it fell down the C-Pillar. Thank goodness PO decided to put in this access hatch for me... all kidding aside glad I have new b/c pillars to install.

IMG_1739.jpeg IMG_1738.jpeg

Also started poking around at some bubbling on the rear corner, was worse than I expected so will have to figure out how to fix the tub.

IMG_1847.jpeg IMG_1850.jpeg IMG_1851.jpeg

Back up at school to finish my last semester of mechanical engineering. Hoping to work on ordering some parts and CADing up some projects for the car while Im in school. More updates to come.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts