Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Yep, Robison wrote those articles a few years ago...pretty much nailed it.

He's a member here, right?
I know he posts on Dweb from time to time.

·
Premium Member
7,157 Posts
Everybody has their theories, and his writings are nothing more than that. Not sure if I buy the tooling thing or the Dex-Cool thing. So many factors involved. How an engine made ten minutes before another fails and the other doesn't can't be explained away so simply.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Simply put stay away from any rover V8 that is a higher capacity that 4.0. They suffer from dropped sleeves, cracked oil pumps, cracked blocks.

There are permanent fixes for both if you have the chips. Top hat cylinder liners installed about 2000. CNC oil pump gears a couple of hundred and you have a bullet proof engine designed to idle in the middle of the sahara all day long. I would personally throw in a good ol chevy v8 and drive issue free for a 100k+. :eek:

------ Follow up post added July 8th, 2015 07:15 PM ------

Everybody has their theories, and his writings are nothing more than that. Not sure if I buy the tooling thing or the Dex-Cool thing. So many factors involved. How an engine made ten minutes before another fails and the other doesn't can't be explained away so simply.

I come accross minimum 1 p38 or dico 2 every month with a cracked block or dropped liner. Ive never seen a disco 1 or defender that have the 3.9 with thoes issues. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
So, my 97 4.0 has green ethylene glycol that looks fresh. What should I do at this point, besides panic? :confused

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
I'm glad someone doesn't take every word he says as gospel.

Simply put stay away from any rover V8 that is a higher capacity that 4.0. They suffer from dropped sleeves, cracked oil pumps, cracked blocks.

There are permanent fixes for both if you have the chips. Top hat cylinder liners installed about 2000. CNC oil pump gears a couple of hundred and you have a bullet proof engine designed to idle in the middle of the sahara all day long. I would personally throw in a good ol chevy v8 and drive issue free for a 100k+. :eek:

------ Follow up post added July 8th, 2015 07:15 PM ------

I come accross minimum 1 p38 or dico 2 every month with a cracked block or dropped liner. Ive never seen a disco 1 or defender that have the 3.9 with thoes issues. :)
I've seen every variation of a Rover V8 block crack. If you want a Chevy motor, buy a Chevy.

So, my 97 4.0 has green ethylene glycol that looks fresh. What should I do at this point, besides panic? :confused
Change it every two years, or whatever the interval is for green coolant.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Take it to a competent tech once a year to flush your entire cooling system, replace with distilled water and the blue BMW coolant or equivalent and replace your thermostat. Cheap insurance. Any decent equivalent coolant to tye green stuff will do but the stuff from de fatherland is just superior. Besides it has the pretty blue color that you can show off to all your friends. :grin

·
Premium Member
7,461 Posts
Personally I've had great experience with the 4.2... plenty of high mile LWBs on the road... and yes Jimmy we know an LS swap is not in your future...but you don't know what your missing till you drive one..

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
I'm glad someone doesn't take every word he says as gospel.

I dont take every word he says as gospel---that is reserved for Widener! LOL

He does have some valid points concerning the tooling and such.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
I've seen every variation of a Rover V8 block crack. If you want a Chevy motor, buy a Chevy.

every engine is susceptible to cracking but the crack ratio between the earlier rover v8s and the later ones is more than 100 to 1.
I meant no offence with the chevy comment. I hope you and no one elce took it that way. The chevy has more power, has better gas milage, is cheaper to buy and maintain and parts are available everywhere.

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
I take it back, I have never seen a 4.2 fail, but that doesn't really mean much as I pretty much never work on Range Rover Classics.

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The tooling theory seems to make sense to me. The Brits are the first to admit they haven't done anything innovative, other than dream up creative financing transactions, in decades.

·
Premium Member
7,461 Posts
jimmy would rather drive a jeep than a rover with an LS motor.. but perfectly fine driving one with a buick small block. :)

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Plus the transmission, engine control kit and alternator. That is some serious coin for a 4 banger.

·
Premium Member
7,461 Posts
Here is one for $1500 bucks with 12,000 miles. Might be fun in a series or even an old Alfa spider. Not bad for a 300 lb motor.

Engine
Cadillac ATS CK COND,11-12,2.0L,AT6SP,RWD 12,000 A H5501A $1500

1 - 20 of 35 Posts