Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a several 3/16 rivets but all if them have head diameters that are to large for side window.
I checked Walmart , lowes, Home Depot, Fastenal, Ace Hardware, Tractor Supply , Ahern, Meeks and they all have the same size head diameter.
Does someone have a item number from US vender they know will work.

Thanks Neal

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Go to McMaster-Carr.com You want Aluminum Domed Head Sealing Blind Rivet. Here is a link McMaster-Carr I would also suggest getting the air pop rivet gun. Harbor Freight has a cheap one for about $45 and worth every penny:)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roverx do those dome head rivets on McMaster-Carr have a smaller head diameter than basic rivets? I have seen a lot of rivets and they all have the same head size?
I just replaced my rear supports/floors and second row with a hand held riveter so my hands are in good shape!LOL
I also did my side windows with Garisson rivets but windows do not slide so I am going to drill them out and try again.
FYI I had to make a spacer for the rivet gun to fit between the channel so it would not push against the fresh power coated frame and only on the rivet.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
I've used these 3/16 rivets when I fit the windows to my current 90 but it was a tight fit. You could try a 5/32 rivet. It would have a smaller head. I'm not sure of the windows you are using and if it's a new install or a replacement. My concern to a replacement would be that the 5/32 rivet would be small in a 3/16 hole without a washer on the backside. I have used a few different styles of side windows over the years and always used these 3/16 rivets. Some style of side windows shows the rivets such as my current ones. I have used other windows that have a rubber gasket that slides into the channel to cover the rivet head. If you are worried about marking the powder coating you could use blue tape on the edges. It's a challenging install no matter what not to leave a mark. This is why I feel you have better control with an air rivet gun opposed to the hand version. This is my current install

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what I came up with 5/32 rivet with a .312 head diameter.
Hope their helps someone in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
RN part number is RU610313L. Available as Genuine from RN and other places; I believe they are 5/32 x .251-.312 grip, based on previous posts here. Also available from Britpart and others.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Back to the drawing board. With the exterior window gasket sealer and holes a bit oversized most of the 5/32 rivets were too short or too thin.
I am going to drill these out and try 3/16 with heads ground down.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ground down a dozen 3/16 rivets and some worked and other did not. I need too find 3/16 rivets with a small diameter head .312.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well after buying over 100$ in rivets I give up...nothing worked. I am going to drill out all the rivets and repowder coat the window frame $$ , tape or caulk window to truck and rerivet with 5/32 rivets. I have way to much money and time into 2 windows.HA!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts