Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone -

The front seats in our old 110 are the very simple, "two cushion" style --- a back cushion and a bottom cushion. They are in great shape; unfortunately they are also black vinyl which makes for a not-so-fun seating experience, esp in the summer months.

We're looking at having them recovered with a heavy-duty fabric designed to take some wear --- like a Sunbrella fabric (but they have one for vehicles).

Anyone have experience as to how well the fabric wears? I know what the catalog says, now I want to know the real skinny.

Also, I'm exploring option to recover the seats in the same fabric that Exmoor uses on their tops but having trouble tracking down much info on where their fabric is sourced? If it's the multi-ply fabric (with the thin plastic sheet in between) it's probably not going to be a good fit for purpose (it won't breath) but I'd like to run it down as an option.

Thanks in advance!
Andrew

·
Registered
740 Posts
I don't know where you live (SoCal has many), but check with an automotive upholstery shop, or look on line. They might have some options available.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know where you live (SoCal has many), but check with an automotive upholstery shop, or look on line. They might have some options available.
We’re already working with an upholsterer (we’re located in Central MA), they actually recommended the Sunbrella option, but it‘s not a match for the color of the Exmoor top, which is why the ask for leads on where to source the fabric Exmoor uses. It may be a dead end but worth running it down.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hi everyone -

The front seats in our old 110 are the very simple, "two cushion" style --- a back cushion and a bottom cushion. They are in great shape; unfortunately they are also black vinyl which makes for a not-so-fun seating experience, esp in the summer months.

We're looking at having them recovered with a heavy-duty fabric designed to take some wear --- like a Sunbrella fabric (but they have one for vehicles).

Anyone have experience as to how well the fabric wears? I know what the catalog says, now I want to know the real skinny.

Also, I'm exploring option to recover the seats in the same fabric that Exmoor uses on their tops but having trouble tracking down much info on where their fabric is sourced? If it's the multi-ply fabric (with the thin plastic sheet in between) it's probably not going to be a good fit for purpose (it won't breath) but I'd like to run it down as an option.

Thanks in advance!
Andrew
I might be missing what you’re trying to accomplish (matching the seat fabric to the soft top?), but what about buying some original LR material to cover the seats, and then buy some seat covers?

You can purchase seat fabric that is fitted for LR OEM seats…that way you don’t need someone to custom make it.

And seat covers can be purchased from a number of different vendors…Rovers North, Badger, etc.

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
Top fabrics are pretty much going to be from the German manufacturer Haartz. They produce a material called "Stayfast" which is their middle-of-the-market line of convertible top canvas. I'll be you a dollar that the Exmoor tops are done up from this. It's not really a good upholstery fabric as it is a bit stiff. There are many varieties of Sunbrella. They make light, medium and heavy weights in solids stripes and checker.

Edit: Yup just checked out Exmoor's website. It says they make tops from Stayfast. Stayfast - Hoods - Exterior Trim | Exmoor Trim

Reactions: awlb

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Top fabrics are pretty much going to be from the German manufacturer Haartz. They produce a material called "Stayfast" which is their middle-of-the-market line of convertible top canvas. I'll be you a dollar that the Exmoor tops are done up from this. It's not really a good upholstery fabric as it is a bit stiff. There are many varieties of Sunbrella. They make light, medium and heavy weights in solids stripes and checker.
Ill check it out, thanks!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Seems like a lot of trouble to go thru to end up with upholstery that's no more comfortable in the heat than oem vinyl.
Sheepskins aren't cheap but installing them is a lot easier than reupholstering. And nothing beats them for comfort, hot or cold.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have an Exmoor stayfast top on the truck. In the sun that **** gets hooooooot. I second that it would be only marginally better than leather/vinyl in the sun. You wouldn't get the thigh-sticking effect, but they would be legit hot.

I'm actually trying to make a decision like this now. I'm going to buy Exmoor seat re-fit kits, and do custom upholstery on the center/insert sections, but what I choose from Exmoor will dictate the sides/bolsters. Black vinyl is the look i want, but I don't want the third-degree burns.

FWIW I'm going Sunbrella for the middle insert section. Rover seat won't get any more wear-and-tear than patio cushions will.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have an Exmoor stayfast top on the truck. In the sun that **** gets hooooooot. I second that it would be only marginally better than leather/vinyl in the sun. You wouldn't get the thigh-sticking effect, but they would be legit hot.

I'm actually trying to make a decision like this now. I'm going to buy Exmoor seat re-fit kits, and do custom upholstery on the center/insert sections, but what I choose from Exmoor will dictate the sides/bolsters. Black vinyl is the look i want, but I don't want the third-degree burns.

FWIW I'm going Sunbrella for the middle insert section. Rover seat won't get any more wear-and-tear than patio cushions will.
Let us know how that process goes, pls. I have an inquiry in with Badger but haven't heard back yet (good reminder for me to follow-up with them).

·
Registered
409 Posts
Current thinking is to maybe buy the Mondus version of the re-trim kit, as it's black but still very much seat fabric: 2 Seat Retrim Kit - Defender - Black Span Mondus EXT316-BSM | Exmoor Trim USA - Producers of Seats, Hoods, Canvas Seat Covers & Accessories for Land Rovers.

Seat inserts (and rear benches) may get Pendleton By Sunbrella treatment if i can find a source for it and a pattern that's not too clash-y or native american cultural appropriation-y: https://www.pindler.com/collections/exclusive-pendleton-collection-by-sunbrella/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Look up Luxor fabric. I have used it on boats interior - luxurious look - doesn’t heat up and is okay to get wet.
Having said that I have used the Exmoor RE-trim in vinyl XS black for use in Florida. No problems yet with heat.
I have another defender which i just had the clutch done which they removed from inside by removing the floor and seat box so the it is currently in pieces - I am considering removing the seat box, putting the battery under the hood (200TDI so plenty of room) and putting in LR Discovery seats. Has anyone had experience with this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts