Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello DefenderSource,

Im Ben from Elm Grove, WI. I have been a Rover nut for the last 20+ years and had a bounty of different Land Rovers ('95 Classic, '96 Discovery 5 speed, two LR3), but never have I had a Defender. Finally found one the caught my eye after looking at many ROW trucks, I found a 1994 D90 NAS POE.

The Rover wears the badge of "3". Photos are attached.

I shipped it up from FL to WI and took delivery yesterday. Nice cold day to get a new rig, but it gets the cozy garage. My plan is to document a full rebuild over the next few years. I was intruiged by the all white POE top and confirmed it has all the POE tell tale signs. I attached some pictures of some rust issues it has and dont want to get a new chassis to preserve its originality, but I want it done right with all the $ I will be spending on it.

What does the group think about these issues? I already took off a completly rotted fuel tank cradle that started to fall apart from transit. Also, why does my frame only have 2 letters/2 numbers stamped in it?

I look forward to getting to know the group over the next few months as I get the time and nicer weather to start tearing her down to her bones.

Ben B.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome aboard!

Will you keep the same color?

How may miles?

Cheers...
Yes I will keep everything as original as possible. 180k and runs like a top. I will be putting in a new 3,9 engine, not sure where I will source at this time..

Ben

·
Premium Member
11,801 Posts
Why replace the engine if it runs like a top and you care about originality?

Have you looked at the registry? I doubt #3 was a poe from day one but weirder things have happened.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why replace the engine if it runs like a top and you care about originality?

Have you looked at the registry? I doubt #3 was a poe from day one but weirder things have happened.
I did check registry says it was shipped with "plastic top"
Ben

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did run the carfax: first owner 16 years, NC, NM and CA; second one 6 years, CO last one 3 years in FL

·
Premium Member
11,801 Posts
I did check registry says it was shipped with "plastic top"
Ben

I don’t think POE trucks were that early but I also don’t think plastic hard tops were either.

------ Follow up post added March 1st, 2019 07:52 PM ------

Why the engine change?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It’s either replace or do a full rebuild. I don’t want to deal with it later I’d rather pull it and tend to it while body’s apart.

Not sure what plastic top is from the registry. A few early trucks have that noted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Her she is cleaned up as best is it can be in 0 degree weather in WI, ready for spring and the big tear down

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Made some headway on the interior and got a better understanding of what I’m going to need. Someone wired heated seats. Two doors unfortunately, but the seat box looks to be in great condition. So far no surprises.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Are you certain this is an original POE? I realize the ECR site may not be 100% accurate but it states "Most of the POE Hard Top Defender 90s for 1994 were Coniston Green. 3 were not. There were 2 Arles Blue units and 1 Alpine White". (https://eastcoastrover.com/INFOD90.html)

I know you mentioned wanting to restore to the original specs, but if this was not an original POE with a red/white combo, then you'd be restoring it to a previous owner's modified state. In which case you might as well restore to your specification.

Good luck with the restoration regardless.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Nice find and looks to be a good candidate to rehad. Unfortunately, the other posts are correct, It's not a POE trucks. It's way to early in the run and the wrong color unless it was painted. It could have come with a plastic hardtop but even that would make it one of the first trucks with one as most or the early NAS trucks were fastbacks without a rear cage or tops. What gearbox does it have? Land Rover replaced a lot of the early LT 77s with R380's under warranty. They were such a poor choice for the V8. If you are looking for originality, a soft top or plastic hardtop is correct. If that doesn't matter, then just enjoy. The plastic hard tops are a POS anyway. I have repaired a 1/2 doz over the years. The metal hardtop is so much nicer. I love the soft top but that could be a challenge in WI. My wife is from Wausau and it gets cold up there. hahaha I lived with my 94 NAS softtop on Cape Cod for several years and never remember driving it without being bundled up for the artic in the winter. hahaha. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Roverx it has the 380 gearbox thank goodness.

Was the hard top ever a stand alone option Ive never seen one not painted the color of the truck and this hardtop has original paint.

Ben

·
Mendicant
7,917 Posts
The hard top was not an option, but converting it was as simple as ordering the parts. I converted my 95 to a station wagon, it doesn’t take a day. The reason this looks like a POE is because that is the most direct route to a conversion. I didn’t want the ill-fitting roll cage so I went and bought the correct station wagon cage.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The hard top was not an option, but converting it was as simple as ordering the parts. I converted my 95 to a station wagon, it doesn’t take a day. The reason this looks like a POE is because that is the most direct route to a conversion. I didn’t want the ill-fitting roll cage so I went and bought the correct station wagon cage.

Actually to my untrained eye the cage on the OPs truck doesn't appear to have the angled sides which would be a plus. Or is that an optical illusion?

1 - 20 of 172 Posts