Defender Source Forum banner

141 - 160 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #141 (Edited)
I should have asked the question how it was done at the factory. I assumed the support were in place. Capping was placed back on to ensure no warpage. And we’re removed when blasting

Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
I rebuilt my 3.9 front cover and can’t believe what I see. 180k miles on this engine and the oil gears look new as compared to the new parts purchased. possible they are original?

·
Registered
360 Posts
They look a lot better than mine did at 140k. Either they have been replaced or the PO changed the oil very frequently.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Agreed they have probably been replaced already.

Also I started to work on the hood. Funny, Land Rover never bothered to even paint the hood in its entirety. They missed the back edge.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
I’m expecting the chassis back from powder coating in a few weeks, and need to finish prep of the drivetrain parts. Hubs and swivels assembled and back from power coating

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
Agreed they have probably been replaced already.

Also I started to work on the hood. Funny, Land Rover never bothered to even paint the hood in its entirety. They missed the back edge.

All painted by hand, not quite the consistency of robotic painting. Body panels are all placed on racks, then into he paint shop to be hand sprayed in place Then they were loaded onto the back of a flat deck truck (once cured) and trucked the the assembly line building, only a couple hundred yards away. Unloaded by forklift and placed on racking awaiting assembly.

You can see how the back edge gets missed...

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Great info!!!!!

Can I also confirm hood brackets and screws assembled to the hood before color coat?

Ben

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Do you know if the following were painted on early 1994 NAS trucks:

snaps on the doors, pins that hold the bulkhead vents, door hinge bolts, rear tailgate hinge bolts?

Ben

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Just trying to help the people that will follow in a rebuild!!!

;-)

Ben

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
Do you know if the following were painted on early 1994 NAS trucks:

snaps on the doors, pins that hold the bulkhead vents, door hinge bolts, rear tailgate hinge bolts?

Ben
Some of those items may heya been painted. Vent flaps wouldn't have been installed to the bulkhead when painted, so no pins to paint. They would have been installed when the body was assembled. Hinges were on the doors, but not the bulkhead. Hinges would have been on the rear door, but not yet on the tub so the hinge bolt may have been in.

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Scott,

Ben's question stems from my highly original (according to paint meter and close inspection) NAS truck. 94' #631. My vent pins, hinge bolts/pins and snaps are painted in the front then others not painted in the rear. Doors, cappings appear and test as original.

I told him would make a separate post but a little research made it seem like there was no chance any of these items would have been painted (which didn't line up with what both Ben and I witnessed on my truck).

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
I don't see how they would have painted the vent pins at the factory, as only body panels would have been on the rack. if the vents were in place, it would be really difficult to paint the actual openings and the mesh screens that are in place behind where the flap is.

Hinge bolt pins would be painted for sure, as I commented earlier the hinges were installed on the doors prior to paint.

If you are talking the dome snaps along the door capping being painted, pretty sure that's not factory. On my '94 they weren't painted. Not 100% sure when the snaps were added, I think it may possibly have been post-factory as I'm pretty sure the trucks were sold with the top as an option. If you bought a hard top, you wouldn't have snaps.

·
Premium Member
11,848 Posts
Vent flap pins are painted body color from the factory.

Not sure when in the process they got painted but they are painted.

Snaps on doors and tub were not painted but all 94 trucks have them regardless of which top the truck came with.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Just noticed a pic from my disassembly a vent pin was painted

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
'94 D90 POE #1500, '97 SW #23
198 Posts
Xmas came early at my house. Santa tracked down my missing 3rd brake light!!

Where'd you get that!?!?!?!

I have a third brake light bar that I bought from a guy here that fabbed them up. It's a fantastic piece, but I could never find a decent light, so I never installed it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #159 (Edited)
“Santa” got it from garrison outfitters. They sold off their mold stock since they abandoned the project

Call them

Ben

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Been a few weeks I’m biting at the bit to get my frame back from powder coating.

Picked up a l322 autobiography for peanuts. Diagnosed as bad head gasket, was actually a failed valley pan gasket!

New VP gasket, water pump and thermostat done.

Ben

141 - 160 of 196 Posts