Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll finally be bringing my 110 out of storage after clearing out some space at home. It's been in your typical storage unit with little to no humidity (North Texas) and it's been over a year since the engine has turned over. It had about 1/4 tank of diesel and the tank is a new metal unit. It has a 2.8TGV with less than 500 miles on it so I want to make sure I don't cause any unnecessary damage by brining it back to life. Is there anything I should do prior to starting it up again? It will be getting a new battery since the old one went TU. should I summon a witch doctor? Sacrifice a beagle? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Just start it. It's a Diesel. Diesel doesn't go bad like gas

You know how many machines sit for years without use and then get started up and put right to work?

Obviously check oil level and such first but it's no biggy

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
New fuel filter, new diesel (might had some atf). Put your new battery on and crank it. Let it idle for a couple of minutes and take it for a spin. I would change the oil after that.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Just start it. It's a Diesel. Diesel doesn't go bad like gas You know how many machines sit for years without use and then get started up and put right to work? Obviously check oil level and such first but it's no biggy
I love how on TV shows or movies they show someone popping in a battery in a gasser and then the vehicle comes right to life after sitting for a long time.

The battery went TU? The only thing I can think that means is Tits Up - and I haven't heard that phrase for a lot of years.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tits Up or Tango Uniform. 20 years in the military is hard to shake off.

I've watched one of those Alaska discovery shows (take your pick), where they started an old generator after 30+ years. I just wanted to make sure I didn't harm the motor since it's just broken in. Thanks for the replies....I'll fire it up!

·
Premium Member
9,014 Posts
Well, it started up like I drove it yesterday. Winner winner chicken dinner. I deeply apologize about the long ignition turn. I guess I wanted to make sure the plugs were warm. Hopefully this link works....never used YouTube before. Enjoy this boring vid. https://youtu.be/MwEVJERTUl4
Wow, very nice...dig the color and the exhaust exit setup!

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks Nathan. In its previous life it was fitted with a 3.5 and ran around Luton, UK. It had the exhaust exiting there. When I fitted the 2.8, I made sure to run the TDI exhaust to the same exit. I had to give Richards Chassis a template so when they made the chassis, they put a hole in it and strengthened the "box." I like it. But yeah, watch your legs passengers! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
Well, it started up like I drove it yesterday.
Lucky. A lot of fungus and bacteria can grow in diesel in a year under the right conditions. Or did you dose it with biocide before storing it?

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Lucky. A lot of fungus and bacteria can grow in diesel in a year under the right conditions. Or did you dose it with biocide before storing it?
X2.....been there....done that....not good...

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
I should have, but no. I may put some in now that it's at the house. I still have a lot of work to do to get it on the road.
Make sure you have a spare fuel filter on hand then. There's a good chance it will clog quickly.
I don't know if biocide dissolves existing fungus (the product info should say), but yes, add some.

·
Premium Member
11,676 Posts
White paste = infected fuel.
You'll see it in the top of the filter or in the bottom of the sedimenter.
Our son got an infected batch of fuel in NY that nearly filled the sedimenter up with water and white paste.
Luckily after the first filter clogged and had to be replaced, the dead algae didn't make it to the fuel filter because he pulled over and drained the sedimenter every 20 miles for about 100 miles and after that the sedimenter was pretty much clear.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.