Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I have a new 4.6 Rover motor from RPI coming along with a new (rebuilt) R380 and LT230 from Ashcroft in the UK.

Wondering if you have any tips for install of all 3 elements?

For instance:
Mate the transmission and transfer case before installing?
Mate transmission to motor before install?
Etc?

I have installed transmissions and motors before, but figured that some good tips would really help out!
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,705 Posts
i like doing it all connected and then dropping it in as a complete unit. you will need a long reach 2ton crane and a engine load leveler. will have to remove the rad frame/slam panel from the front of the truck and have the trans hump removed.

This alloys you to put on the shift linkages and test them /mark them prior to install and just mount the rubbers to get it all aligned. then remove the shifters on the trans and tcase, then install.

·
Registered
622 Posts
When I rebuilt my 3.9, I removed and installed the entire power unit as one. It is very tail heavy with the transfer case installed, so you will need a load leveler and probably still need help holding up the t-case when sliding it in. I also removed the entire front of the engine compartment so I was clear from fender to fender above the bumper. Really not a hard job.

·
Premium Member
4,086 Posts
I also put a come-along from the end of the transfer case to the engine hoist hook to help with the leveling as I too like one big, long lump. The strap will hit the trans tunnel of the bulk bulkhead when you get to that point, but I just loosen the strap when it is at that point and lower the end of the transfer case. I rest it on a creeper as I push the engine further back. Then I jack up the end of the transfer case to get it into position and bolt it in once it is there...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahhh! Such good info and answers guys. I really appreciate it. Just seeing this now as the forum did not send me emails!
OK, that settles it, one piece it is and remove the front grill surround, etc.

Thanks very much!

·
Premium Member
14,013 Posts
A large part of our business is engine/Cummins swaps and we always remove & install as one piece.
Load levelers allow you to change the angle as you go in and then pull it back up as the tcase clears the lower edge of the bulkhead.
Two tools that we use a lot can be bought cheaply @ Harbor Freight and will dramatically ease the job for $175. I have had these two items for more than a decade and they both still work flawlessly-lubrication is the key to smooth use and longevity.
Click on the text.We cut the winding handle off and welded a nut on so an impact can be used to speed changes. Be sure to grease threads with a quality synthetic grease.

450 lb. Low Lift Transmission Jack
This jack placed under the low side of the tcase is crucial to bringing the long end up into position and is the right tool for the job. We also operate this with a battery snap on impact for speed ease of use. We use a 3/8’s impact with a 3/8’s to 1/2 adapter. The smaller impact with adapter is easier to fit into tight spots than the full size 1/2 tool.

I would say in addition to the two tools above the most important factor is a glass smooth concrete floor to work on.

A tip, if a truck is lifted or fitted with large tires this requires that the lump be lifted higher to clear the front frame crossmember. We usually put smaller wheel /tires combo on the front and even flatten the tires sometimes. Leaving the rear taller helps. As soon as the lump is in and on front mounts re-inflate the tires to gain space to work to do trans/tcase mounts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts