·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Just another rebuild option is M&D engineering 2.8 piston kit.

I'm doing it for my 300tdi now. It's basically what you would buy from RN in a 200tdi version but you are using your own block. You would remove your block, have it bored out, then rebuild it using the new 2.8 pistons. I would also suggest a new oil pump, cam, bearing etc. A nice addition is the Turner engineering High flow head. I'm also opting for a VNT turbo. Neither of the last two are required. I would suggest you upgrade the clutch to the LOF clutch pack. It's basically the one they fit to a 130 so it has a good bit of extra meat. In the end, you use the same engine setup you have and get a decent power increase w/o trying to do all the work to convert it to a 300tdi.

The Chevy is a great engine option and a very popular conversion. Parts are plentiful and they work really well. The only reason I'm not a fan is that if I wanted a Chevy I would have got one.

If you have any questions on my build process feel free to PM me.

BOL with your project!
Thank you Scott, I may just take you up on your offer with some questions. I really want to do the Chevy, but the other half is set on keeping it loud and stinky. It will take another failure to change her mind. Hopefully we don't get to that and we enjoy our Defender for many years.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thank you Scott, I may just take you up on your offer with some questions. I really want to do the Chevy, but the other half is set on keeping it loud and stinky. It will take another failure to change her mind. Hopefully we don't get to that and we enjoy our Defender for many years.
If it’s loud and stinky then may I suggest a Benz OM617 swap? 🤡

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Now that we've decided to go with the Turner long block disco, are there any ancillaries that you would recommend changing out since we'll be starting fresh? It was running strong prior to the crank pulley failure, but I'm all for preventative maintence within reason. Basically, if you were in my shoes, what would you order from Turner so life is good for my diesel mechanic and for the engine's long-term reliability? We will ship the injectors out to have them tested prior to putting them back in.

Also, thank you to everyone that provided input. To take time out of your day to help with such detailed information is really appreciated by me, and others probably on the board who are learning from the input.

John

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Is there any reason I should opt for the Performance Gas flowed cylinder head, rather than the standard? Would that result in any related modifications? Or is it just plug n play and get a bit of performance?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Is there any reason I should opt for the Performance Gas flowed cylinder head, rather than the standard? Would that result in any related modifications? Or is it just plug n play and get a bit of performance?
More airflow, more efficiency. They claim up to 30% more power and torque with those heads. Obviously if you’re going that route, you should port match the manifolds as well to take advantage. They are not charging too much money for their performance heads. If I was to do this I would go with those heads and improved injectors.

·
Premium Member
Go Mundo Maya!
449 Posts
IF you opted for the gas flowed head, new injectors and upgraded turbo- it’s a game changer. Nothing wrong with keeping everything stock. Just depends on time and budget. With the 2.8 liter injectors and gas flowed Turner head- I ran 20lbs boost and advanced timing a tiny bit. Is a strong runner and merges with traffic well on WOT. Have fun with your truck!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Good morning, we decided to go with a donor 200 Tdi from Scott, who has been great to work with. Once it arrives, we'll swap out our engine and keep the best of the ancillaries, ship the injectors for inspection and potential refurbishing, and have a good stock of extra parts.

We plan to order the following to replace while we have easy access to the engine:

Alternator
Glow plugs
Water pump
Tensioner
Hoses
Injectors
Valve cover gasket
Thermostat
Rear main seal
Timing Belt
Accessory belts
Air/fuel/oil filters

If there are any glaring omissions, or something on the list that is unnecessary, please let me know.

Regards,
John

·
Premium Member
1969 Ser IIA 300 tdi Hybrid,
960 Posts
If you are doing all this I would also suggest having the Injection pump rebuilt. Call Elton at Blue Ridge Diesel 540-389-7296. They are awesome and have rebuilt several for me. I would also pull the oil pump and check it out.

BOL with the work!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Ok, we sourced another 200 tdi, it's a 14L instead of the 12L that sits in it currently. Rovers North sent us a bunch of new parts for the 14L to freshen things up while the engine is out.

Question: Can I tow the rig about two miles to the shop that will be doing the swap? Do you have any advice for towing it via strap, the old school way? It does not run.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
11,788 Posts
You need a car trailer or a tow bar.
Take the driveshafts off if you tow it so the wheels spin which isn't required with a car trailer.

·
Premium Member
7,628 Posts
I would recommend the Dowty rear crank seal over what they send in the kit. There's nothing more heartbreaking than seeing oil dripping from the bell housing 500 miles after installing the new lump.

Reactions: Checksicks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
My manual says it's ok to tow so long as I follow the respective 5 steps? I'm going about 1.5-2 miles and I can go extremely slow if need be. What am I missing here? It's a 5 speed manual.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts