Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
1985 D90 200 tdi
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm in need of assistance. Last summer we had the crank pulley come loose in our 1985 Defender whilst driving down the freeway. It was making terrible grinding noises and we limped a short way home. We had it looked at by a couple of mechanics and I posted here, with the common assumption that the lower end was toast.

The truck currently has a 200 TDI (engine number 12L 117040A) from a Discovery.

I contacted Rovers North about getting their 200 TDI Long Block that my mechanic would use to replace our engine and attach all ancillaries. The gentleman at Rovers North was concerned that the engine would not be compatible with all of the ancillaries from our truck and recommended we purchase the complete 300 TDI that is ready to drop in.

There is a large price difference between the two and each had its own pros and cons.

My questions for the panel:

1. Can my 200 TDI (from a Discovery) ancillaries swap over without issue or modification or replacement to the Long Block if I were to purchase that?

2. Will the 300 TDI for sale at Rovers North simply drop into my existing truck without new motor mounts or modification/parts?

Here are the links to both.

300Tdi Engine Upgrade Assembly RNE0300 | Rovers North - Land Rover Parts and Accessories Since 1979

200 Tdi Long Block Assembly PLE885 | Rovers North - Land Rover Parts and Accessories Since 1979

Thanks for your assistance, I appreciate it.

John

· Premium Member
11,812 Posts
Your 200TDI Disco has different parts like front timing cover, so depending on what the 200TDI long block has, the answer could be yes with lots of work or no. The Disco 200TDI is not the best fit for a Defender, but can be made to work.

The 300TDI is a full on engine conversion requiring a different transmission, floors, tunnel, radiator, intercooler, radiator shroud, exhaust, and so on. The frame mounts have to be cut off and new mounts welded on. You could need a transmission crossmember depending on what you have now.

Reactions: Ephry73

· Premium Member
724 Posts
I have several complete 300tdi pullouts from Defenders with all ancillaries and frame crossmember. You'd need to convert to an R380 tunnel setup and have the motor mount brackets changed with this:

I also have a complete running Disco 200TDI/LT77 setup.

· Premium Member
11,812 Posts
Wasn't going to mention the Chevy 250 on this thread because the OP didn't mention it as an option, but since ionfender set the stage...
The Chevy 250 bolts right into a stock Pre 300TDI Defender without making any changes what so ever to the vehicle, so is more of an engine install verses a conversion.
There are a few threads here on the subject.

· Premium Member
NAS 90SW
8,047 Posts
200's arent the fair haired children they used to be so that plays in you financial favor. My early 110's disco 200 runs as well IMO as the new 300's with only factory miles that I've driven, so I'd not be inclined to switch to a 300 if i were u. Maybe connect with a well known supplier in the UK and have a disco 200 long block built and shipped to you.

· Premium Member
11,812 Posts
other “installs” are Land Rover‘s 2.5 petrol, the 2.5NA, the 19J, and the 200.
Also are the Rover 2.25 petrol (Engine Codes 10H, 11H and 13H) and 2.25 diesel (Engine Code 10J) that also will bolt right in and can be included as relatively easy installs.

Reactions: KGH

· Premium Member
1969 Ser IIA 300 tdi Hybrid,
961 Posts
Just another rebuild option is M&D engineering 2.8 piston kit.

I'm doing it for my 300tdi now. It's basically what you would buy from RN in a 200tdi version but you are using your own block. You would remove your block, have it bored out, then rebuild it using the new 2.8 pistons. I would also suggest a new oil pump, cam, bearing etc. A nice addition is the Turner engineering High flow head. I'm also opting for a VNT turbo. Neither of the last two are required. I would suggest you upgrade the clutch to the LOF clutch pack. It's basically the one they fit to a 130 so it has a good bit of extra meat. In the end, you use the same engine setup you have and get a decent power increase w/o trying to do all the work to convert it to a 300tdi.

The Chevy is a great engine option and a very popular conversion. Parts are plentiful and they work really well. The only reason I'm not a fan is that if I wanted a Chevy I would have got one.

If you have any questions on my build process feel free to PM me.

BOL with your project!

· Registered
1985 D90 200 tdi
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the Turner stripped long block with my current ancillaries makes the most sense. I'd grab a set of top and bottom seals from them as well. Their reviews are great. Is there anything else I should consider replacing while the engine is out? This is effectively a one for one swap making life easier for my mechanic and I.

85 D90
200 tdi discovery
R380 1.4
RHD
Manual

Ran like a champ prior to loose crank pulley doing its thing.

John

· Registered
313 Posts
Just another rebuild option is M&D engineering 2.8 piston kit.

I'm doing it for my 300tdi now. It's basically what you would buy from RN in a 200tdi version but you are using your own block. You would remove your block, have it bored out, then rebuild it using the new 2.8 pistons. I would also suggest a new oil pump, cam, bearing etc. A nice addition is the Turner engineering High flow head. I'm also opting for a VNT turbo. Neither of the last two are required. I would suggest you upgrade the clutch to the LOF clutch pack. It's basically the one they fit to a 130 so it has a good bit of extra meat. In the end, you use the same engine setup you have and get a decent power increase w/o trying to do all the work to convert it to a 300tdi.

The Chevy is a great engine option and a very popular conversion. Parts are plentiful and they work really well. The only reason I'm not a fan is that if I wanted a Chevy I would have got one.

If you have any questions on my build process feel free to PM me.

BOL with your project!
That actually sounds like a sound option. Even a portes 300tdi head would work

· Premium Member
7,641 Posts
A 300 isn't like some major performer compared to a 200. They're more or less the same engine at heart. The 300 is more "modern". These engines are both extremely well built, with full roller tappets and large bearing surfaces. The 300 edges out the 200 as it seems to have fewer problems and way way better parts availability.
If you want to go fast and keep up with traffic do the Chevy 6 that rdavisinva supplies.

Reactions: don

· Registered
1985 D90 200 tdi
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Your 200TDI Disco has different parts like front timing cover, so depending on what the 200TDI long block has, the answer could be yes with lots of work or no. The Disco 200TDI is not the best fit for a Defender, but can be made to work.

The 300TDI is a full on engine conversion requiring a different transmission, floors, tunnel, radiator, intercooler, radiator shroud, exhaust, and so on. The frame mounts have to be cut off and new mounts welded on. You could need a transmission crossmember depending on what you have now.
Thank you for info, I appreciate it.

· Registered
1985 D90 200 tdi
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have several complete 300tdi pullouts from Defenders with all ancillaries and frame crossmember. You'd need to convert to an R380 tunnel setup and have the motor mount brackets changed with this:

I also have a complete running Disco 200TDI/LT77 setup.
Scotty, can you send me some information regarding your running disco 200 tdi/lt77?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts