Defender Source Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
I guess it's possible but I haven't found any references to shims behind the race.
right I was just throwing ideas, I have never seen it either. my other guess would be the bearing and race may be a part number off from original thus bearing sits deeper and causes your issue.
I must admit, in 20 plus yrs or working on rovers and 30 plus in the automotive repair and service field, I have encountered a similar situation.
then again there are not many vehicles where the spindle (aka stubby), is bolted in a similar way as rovers.

another thought. normally rover does not use washers on the spindle bolts or the rotor bolts, if by chance the last person who worked on it, installed washers there then it moved the bolts a tad bit out.
then, the race may have been tweaked to clearance the bolts. now you set the race the proper way and clearance issue arises. from your pictures, I don't see washers on the spindle bolts. check the rotor bolts just in case.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The rotor definitely has lock washers on it and I had contemplated removing them but the shop manual shows them in the schematic so I was hesitant to remove them. I already removed the mudshield that goes under the bolts on the stub axle thinking I may just need a little bit of clearance but that didn't work. Here is one thing I will say....every since I got it when I go around a right turn in the road it is fine for bit and then all of a sudden it will dart to the right....very unnerving and the reason I started rebuilding the entire front end.
I really do just need to take the other side apart and start comparing and measuring parts because there is definitely something amiss.

Thanks for all the ideas and conversation. Even though I haven't solved the problem YET, I believe this has given me a lot to look at and examine.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
here is another bit of rover trivia, pre abs rovers used hex drive (not to be confused with Allen drive) bolts which were a bit shallower on the head, the 12 point bolts shown on your picture have a taller head and are best fitted/ originally fitted for abs spindle and hub.

Reactions: blaster11

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
That didn't occur to me but now that you mention it I have seen that before. I would just order some 10.9 bolts from Mcmaster and put them on with locktite.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
First things first....thanks everyone for giving me ideas of things to look at an consider! In the end it was my fault which I knew it would be because things just weren't adding up. It turns out that the bottom pin, which has the lower bearing on it, was 180 degrees out and it has a nipple on it which hit the rotor. This caused the rotor to not go on straight and true causing the bolt interference issue I was experiencing. If it wasn't for your ideas and trying a few different thing I would't have seen the issue. Since I painted everything while it was apart I noticed paint rubbed off the nipple on the lower pin after installing it and spinning it many times. Again thanks and it is all back together now!!!

Bruce

21 - 27 of 27 Posts