Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is on a 1985 90. So, I am putting my front differential back together and was almost done but when I put the hub assembly back on and when I tightened it down the bolts on the hub and the bolts on the stub axle hit each other. Weird. I did replace the bearings and races in the hub. Timken bearing and races with both the same part number from RN. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,945 Posts
Pics ! Do you have the CV fully seated into the rear of the stub axle ? Need to be hammered home sometimes

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CV/axle is fine, pulled through and seated just like it should. The parts at issue are the housing around the CV/axle (i think proper term is stub axle) and the hub/break rotor assembly (part your wheel bolts onto). When those are put together the hub/break rotor assembly seems to seat to deep which then the bolts interfere with each other (bolts on hub and bolts on stub axle). It is almost like it is the wrong bearing/race combination. I will get a couple pictures but it really won't show much of the problem area since all you will be really seeing is the rotor. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
4,945 Posts
What bearing set number did you use ? Did you reuse the stub axle bolts and the rotor mounting bolts ? Did you replace the rotor ?
Pics of it taken apart obviously.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I am back and have not solved my problem. Picture 2 shows the bolts on the back side of the brake rotor/hub assembly and picture 3 and 4 show the stub axle bolts which are interfering with each other when the wheel bearing nut is tightened up. None of the bolts have been changed only bearings, seals, and swivel ball have been replaced. Starting to believe that there is a problem with the bearing/race tolerances. Confused and a little irritated in Maryland

·
Premium Member
4,945 Posts
Hard to tell without being there for sure. Did you remove the brake disc from the hub ? Is it fully seated and the bolts all the way down ?

You are test fitting this with a rear bearing in place right ?

When you replaced the bearing races in the hub were they fully seated prior to removal? Maybe Po did something odd ?

Stub axle won't wear like that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hard to tell without being there for sure. Did you remove the brake disc from the hub ? Is it fully seated and the bolts all the way down ?

You are test fitting this with a rear bearing in place right ?

When you replaced the bearing races in the hub were they fully seated prior to removal? Maybe Po did something odd ?

Stub axle won't wear like that.
Did not remove the brake disc, checked bolts to ensure they were tight and nothing appears to be out of place with the disc/hub interface.

Yes, rear bearing in place as well as the seal.

Can't answer that and unfortunately I already got rid of the old parts thinking I didn't need them anymore due to side one going together just fine. I may have to disassemble the other side to compare the differences at this point. :-(

Grasping at straws right now.....

Thanks for the questions!

·
Premium Member
4,945 Posts
I'm thinking maybe you have a late model narrow spaced wheel hub on that side and a wide spaced on the other . I'd disassemble and measure the stub and hubs and compare them . Who knows ?

Po could have not seated the bearings on purpose

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I am stumped, I got essentially the same measurement(.787) which is a little different, but VERY little. Yours being deeper could be the cause of your issue, but doesnt really make sense. Have you tried putting the other side hub on this side?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have not but I guess I am going to take the other side apart and see if I can figure out the difference. Thanks for checking the measurement!!

·
Premium Member
4,945 Posts
If you're trying to measure the difference with the two next to each other. You would need to measure the distance from the rear of each bearing race. On the inside of the hub.

If they're different then you found your culprit.

Early model hubs have wide spacing. Late model hubs have narrow spacing. Dimensionally from the outside they are the same

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
is it possible the old race may have had a spacer shim, which may have been inadvertently discarder when old race was removed, thus not installed behind new race? you may just need a .010 shim.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts