Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the masses.
94 ST overheating with bad fan clutch (many thanks to previous threads from the forum for helping with diagnosis!).
Replace clutch and keep engine driven fan, or go electric?
I live in the south and find myself at traffic lights in 90-degree heat.
Ready...GO

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
Just replace the clutch. I had electric and went back to the mechanical after they started acting up.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Viscous!
And a 36mm slim spanner to get the fan in or out.
While driving with the R380 I normaly had the fan out.
Only during summertime and carrying my Sankey the fan was inside.
With the auto box I guess it's better to have a fan inside?

·
Super Moderator
12,999 Posts
2 speed electric Ford Taurus fan. That's how I roll and very few people on the board deal with more heat than I do.
I thought they don't fit on a V8??

·
Super Moderator
12,999 Posts
Electric is fine, but it is down to the quality of the installation, control system and wiring. If you do it to an OEM level, it will be as reliable as a viscous setup, if not more.

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts
I thought they don't fit on a V8??
I ran a Flex-Fan with my V8. The Taurus fan is on my diesel but I think it would work if you trimmed up the cowling that comes as part of the fan. It does move a ton of air and yes, the quality of the install will obviously dictate the reliability.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
I vote for replacing with factory viscous and fan. When all components are working it should keep the rover plenty cool. Minor changes like HD viscous, RRC fan (larger) or more cores in the radiator is all you should need. If temps creeping during traffic in may be an indicator that more than just the viscous needs attention. HG? radiator? etc

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
Running a spiced 4.6, and had slight heat issues. Spoke to Allisport and even they recommend keeping viscous over electric. The biggest advantage to electric is being able to turn off during water crossings. I stayed viscous (new one installed) and went to a new 3.5 radiator with an external oil cooler, and issue solved. My next step was an Allisport rad, or a Davis rad, but so far so good with near record highs x 2 months- mid 90's everyday!

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
The best setup by a clear mile is the factory fan clutch with a pusher electric fan behind the grill. best of both worlds with built in back-up! The fan clutch is easy to diagnose and fix in a pinch when in the field. With a failed fan clutch you simply put a screw through the mechanism thereby locking it up!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all!
Newer radiator, lines good, pump good, no coolant loss, pressure tested. Clutch loose.
Any cons to electric, other than being isolated and having electrical fan failure?
Any specific pro's out there?
Thanks from a newbie

·
Premium Member
10,771 Posts
Running a spiced 4.6, and had slight heat issues. Spoke to Allisport and even they recommend keeping viscous over electric. The biggest advantage to electric is being able to turn off during water crossings. I stayed viscous (new one installed) and went to a new 3.5 radiator with an external oil cooler, and issue solved. My next step was an Allisport rad, or a Davis rad, but so far so good with near record highs x 2 months- mid 90's everyday!
Interesting they favor Viscous over electric especially since they sell a V8 radiator with dual electric

Land Rover Defender V8 Direct Replacement Alloy Radiator with Spal fans cowl - AlliSport

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Appreciate everyone's responses.
Interested in hearing more opinions as well to get a consensus.

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
Interesting they favor Viscous over electric especially since they sell a V8 radiator with dual electric

Land Rover Defender V8 Direct Replacement Alloy Radiator with Spal fans cowl - AlliSport
Fully aware, and I was a bit surprised- but according to them the vicious provides more air flow, and they suggested keeping it as such. Here are their words exactly:

Hi Dale,
The viscous fan will have more cooling capacity than the electrics, and I know this radiator will have sufficient capability for your job. If you had overheating issues with this rad, something else is at fault!
I would also recommend an external oil cooler for max efficiency.
The down side is our current lead time is quite long I'm afraid, possibly around 6 weeks- ish.

If you wanted to make an order, I can take all your details and let me know how you want to make payment. Then I can let you know when the part is in progress.
I hope this helps!

Best regards,
Andrew

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
I have a Range-Rover p38 air con radiator twin fan. Anyone ever tried this? (For a 200tdi). It seems to be the proper size but, will it push/pull enough air?

Sorry for hijacking but since the p38 are in the scrap yard now a day, might be as cheap as a taurus fan. Since it's a twin fan setup, might be able to have one fan going and the other stop. Have them both running in hard working condition.. At the moment, no fan and it doesn't go higher then normal..

1 - 20 of 40 Posts