Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the type with studs at both ends. The nuts are rusted, and want to strip. When I do turn the top nut, the whole upper half of the shock turns with it, so....

I'm thinking I need to do some cutting, but I'm not sure where. And once I get the towers off, I'll have to pull the shock... hummmmm....

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts
Do you have a pipe strap wrench or a set of big ass channel locks to grab it with? You can also split the nut with a grinder and a cutting wheel and pull the whole thing out.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope the rust on the tower isn't so bad I can't blast it and refinish.

Cutting the top nuts should be easy. Not sure how to get in to the bottom nut if I'm going to pull the whole thing out. Even if I did have the right wrench, I'm sure I would not be able to turn it.

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts
It's a bit messy but you can also cut the bottom off of the shock and then cut away at what is left or you can hit the bottom nut with a torch (smoke wrench) and it will hopefully twist off afterwards.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I'm getting ready to do mine this weekend on the 95 lwb....never done them before, I hope it goes well ...oooh boy :whistling:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The process of changing springs and shocks is actually not hard if you set yourself up well, get the spring compressor on correctly, and if the rust isn't as horrible as mine!

With the rust, I'm just at a dead end right now. Cutting is only option.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
The process of changing springs and shocks is actually not hard if you set yourself up well, get the spring compressor on correctly, and if the rust isn't as horrible as mine!

With the rust, I'm just at a dead end right now. Cutting is only option.
That's exactly what I'm telling myself. 'eh, easy peasy.' oooh and I understand the frustration of having to break out the cutting tools...blah! Grimy sweaty time..;) Good luck to us both Mr. Bailey

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Put a wrench on the bottom nut and turn with shock with pipe wrench.

I'm pretty sure I got a ratcheting wrench on mine after a few turns and then it came of quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
-Get a smaller pipe wrench, don't mess with a strap one.
-Grab the lower part of the shock with the pipe wrench and remove the lower nut.
-Remove the 4 shock tower retaining nuts.
-Pull the tower and shock out together.
-You should now be able to grab the upper part of the shock with the pipe wrench and remove the upper nut.
-If you have the plastic shroud on the upper part you can cut it with a knife, peel it back, and stick the pipe wrench on the shock shaft.
-Use an impact on the upper nut if you can.
* I have some D1, D2, and RRC external towers for sale if you're interested.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts