Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I replaced my rear left half shaft. I didn’t even get a mile down the road when I began to hear a horrendous grind. It sounded and felt very bad and expensive. I guess I was fortunate that I was only right down the road from home. Unfortunately, the new shaft is now completely stuck. With the rear of the vehicle in the air, I can rotate the rear right tire and the rear prop shaft will rotate. however, the rear left tire just spins without any corresponding motion from the prop shaft or other tire. Is it possible that when I installed the new half shaft, that I didn’t fully engage it and that the grinding noise is from the splines of the shaft on the diff end screwing something up? And since it now will not budge, should I be able to remove the other half shaft on the rear and find something long enough to try to hammer it out?

·
Premium Member
5,830 Posts
My first question would be if you replaced it of one with the correct length? If you have a Salisbury rear axle you can remove the cover and if you rotate the carrier you should be able to see the axle shaft sticking into the carrier.

Sounds like to me you just need to take the diff cover off and do some exploring

·
Super Moderator
13,271 Posts
What year is the vehicle? What exact shaft did you purchase?

·
Super Moderator
13,271 Posts
That is the wrong shaft unless you have changed to a later axle or later style hubs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the hubs have been changed because of they are identical as the ones that are on my 97 nas. hopefully as naplm00 said earlier I will be able to rotate the carrier within the diff tomorrow with both rear wheels up....I just need to free up the shaft at this point to actually get it back out.

·
Premium Member
5,830 Posts
What red is alluding to here is that you bought a disc length AKA shorter half shaft. It sounds like you have mismatched your parts at some point.

If your axle and hubs are set up for drum brakes originally, You most likely need the longer shafts.

Easiest way to tell is just pull it out and measure. Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks...I’m pretty sure I’ll need it. So try rotating the carrier with the diff plate off, and if that doesn’t work try removing the other half shaft and hammer it loose from that end? At this point all I need to do is get it back out without having to remove the rear axle and diff.

·
Premium Member
5,830 Posts
If the shaft is trashed maybe just remove the flange and use a vice grip and slide hammer?

·
Super Moderator
13,271 Posts
I’m confused as to how taking the diff cover off helps. Salisbury centers are solid. You can’t see inside of them.

·
Super Moderator
13,271 Posts
You should be able to push from the other side if you have a long bar.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys I was finally able to hammer it out from the other side. Wasn’t easy...good news is there was no damage on the diff end. The one I should’ve used is 38.5 inches...and the one I tried using was 37. Ignorant move on my part. the wrong one l, that I finally got out, also seemed to have a section closer to the circlip end that was thicker in diameter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts