Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been some confusion about which news sources have reliable information, so I’m putting together a Yes list and a No list. The Yes list contains news that is based on facts, science, and/or logical reasoning. The No list contains news that is devoid of facts, science, and/or logical reasoning and is targeted towards people who lack critical thinking skills due to poor education. Please help me add more sources and we’ll decide which list it belongs in.

Yes list
-EcoWatch
-Center for Biological Diversity
-Union of Concerned Scientists
-ScienceNews
-The Young Turks
-Science (American Association for the Advancement of Science)
-World Wildlife Fund
-League of Conservation Voters
-Bernie Sanders’ twitter

No list
-Breitbart
-Fox News
-Trinity Broadcasting Network
-Christian Broadcasting Network (700 Club)
-NRA
-Rush Limbaugh
-Lars Larson (This guy is actually my dear grandmother's neighbor and I've talked to him before. Nice enough guy in person, but don't listen to his radio.)
-Donald Trump’s twitter

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yes list:

National Enquirer
Mad Magazine
World Weekly News ( identifies aliens - Men in Black - we need to build a space wall and deport those that have landed - Area 51)
Pravda - Putin's primary source of news
The Ball Street Journal (not to be confused with WSJ)
Anything published by Eloise Fusmucker

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes list:

National Enquirer
Mad Magazine
World Weekly News ( identifies aliens - Men in Black - we need to build a space wall and deport those that have landed - Area 51)
Pravda - Putin's primary source of news
The Ball Street Journal (not to be confused with WSJ)
Anything published by Eloise Fusmucker
We're going to have to put those in the No list, but you get an A for effort.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want to take a minute to explain my position. I post things like this because I’m concerned after seeing some of the conservative positions taken on this forum, like those joking about my post. The Sanders’ twitter in the Yes list is sort of a joke, but I added it as an opposition to Trump’s twitter which shouldn’t be viewed or at the very least not taken seriously. I also once had a closed mind with conservative viewpoints and it took a long time for my frame of mind to change. I most recently voted Republican when I voted for McCain & Palin. A vote I couldn’t ever fathom making today. I grew up in a conservative Christian protestant family. We went to church on Sunday and I believed everything my pastor told us. Those beliefs were reinforced through family and the people we associated with. For my high school senior research paper I decided to write about evolution after I was impressed with the speech from a visiting pastor about false beliefs. Amongst Mormonism, Freemasonry, Satanism, New Ageism, Roman Catholicism, Buddhism, etc he talked about evolution. And what he said was quite convincing to my young eager mind. He talked about mathematical probability, anomalous fossils, “living” fossils, etc. There was enough truth to what he said that I didn’t understand the gross errors in his thinking and I wasn’t knowledgable enough on the subject to be able to see that he was wrong. When I finished my paper and submitted it to my instructor he was so furious that he sent me to the principle, who then assigned me to a different instructor. It didn’t seem fair to me that my instructor didn’t want anything to do with my paper, but looking back I can see how frustrating it would be to be presented with something so ignorant. He probably thought I was a hopeless cause.

My views didn’t begin to change until I went to college. I was interested in science so I decided to major in biology. It was difficult for me at the beginning because there were so many concepts I just couldn’t accept. The first nail in the coffin for my old beliefs was when I took a geology class and I learned about how different rocks form. Granite forms deep within the earth, often 1 to 20 miles deep, and due to its’ heat capacity, as it is a very poor conductor of heat, a large body of granitic magma takes millions of years to cool. That’s also why granite is grainy with large crystals. The long duration of time allows minerals to collect together and form large crystals. (Granitic magma that cools fast at the surface forms rhyolite or rhyolitic tuff which has very fine grained crystals.) If the earth was only 6000 years old then rocks like granite wouldn’t exist. It took many more nails in the coffin before I was convinced that the earth is billions of years old and evolution does indeed occur. Some of the other key areas of study were chemistry where I was able to understand the atoms and elements we are made out of, molecular biology where I was able to understand the chemical reactions of life, cellular biology where I was able to understand the cellular processes that allow us to live, anatomy & physiology where I was able to understand how our body works, genetics where I was able to understand the transfer and mixing of genetic material from one generation to the next, and evolution where I was able to understand how genetic material changes to give rise to new species. The subject of ecology is also interesting and builds on those concepts. I learned about how species have a niche and when a niche opens up other species will radiate into new forms to fill that niche. An example is when Antarctica moved to the south pole (by the processes of plate tectonics) and when the continent and surrounding sea cooled many species died and went extinct. The species that survived the environmental change were able to adapt such as some fish who were able to make a protein to keep their blood from freezing in the cold water. That fish then radiated into other species that resemble some of the species that went extinct, replacing their role and place in the ecosystem (their niche), such as fish that live in deep water, little fish that hang out under the sea ice, and larger predator fish such as the Antarctic toothfish.

Antarctica’s environmental transition took millions of years and even that wasn’t long enough for most species to adapt. That’s why people are so concerned today about climate change. It’s because the climate is changing so fast (an instant in geologic time) most species will not be able to adapt to the changes fast enough so they’ll end up going extinct. And because humans are responsible for these changes in the environment (atmospheric CO2 emissions from fossil fuels, pollution in the water, etc) we are responsible for trying to mitigate the damages of our activities. That includes trying to reduce pollution, CO2 emissions, and reduce habitat loss, which includes trying to limit deforestation and development. It is our duty to try to prevent the unnecessary extinction of species. They cannot be replaced and new forms will not radiate to fill the empty niches for millions of years. We will have a dead planet by all practical definitions. And it’s going to happen quicker than you think.

It also doesn't make sense for religious people to want to destroy the environment and kill the animals. Religious people only need to look to the Biblical story of Noah and the Ark. God instructed Noah to build the Ark to save the Earth’s animals. He didn’t intend to save humans. But he saw Noah was a good man so he had Noah round up pairs of every species, not just farm and game species that are valuable to humans, but every animal species on the earth and every bird in the sky, and he invited Noah and his family to come aboard the Ark to care for the animals. And it is our duty to this very day to still care for those animals. And that means taking care of our environment and doing all the things you typically associate with liberals. It turns out liberals aren’t so liberal. It’s the destructive conservative ideology that is new and radical. It is perpetuated by those who want to oppress others who benefit from doing so. That’s why churches and Republicans want people to believe science is a liberal conspiracy. They don’t want you to know the truth because then the lies they’ve told you begin to fall apart. Demented bullies like Trump wouldn’t become president and corrupt religious leaders like Joel Osteen and Pat Robertson would no longer be able to purchase multi-million dollar mansions.

·
Premium Member
9,778 Posts
Is this forum about Land Rovers or political ideologies and opinions?

Here's an example I read that seems feasible so perhaps the yes list:
The temperatures of Mars have been increasing at the same rate as earth...
If people are the cause of global warming, how many people are on Mars burning fossil fuels making Mars warmer?
Could it be that big red ball in the sky has increased solar activity that is causing the planets to warm and people probably have very little effect on global temperatures?
Can't be that people would twist things around to promote subjective political views instead of presenting objective global warming data?
This thread belongs on a political blog and NOT a Land Rover forum IMHO.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Yes list:
BBC

Everything else is just editorial

------ Follow up post added March 28th, 2017 01:40 AM ------

Also I'd like to point out that 'truth' is whatever one believes it to be.

Maybe factual should have been the basis of the original post?

·
Premium Member
4,597 Posts
There has been some confusion about which news sources have reliable information, so I’m putting together a Yes list and a No list. The Yes list contains news that is based on facts, science, and/or logical reasoning. The No list contains news that is devoid of facts, science, and/or logical reasoning and is targeted towards people who lack critical thinking skills due to poor education. Please help me add more sources and we’ll decide which list it belongs in.

Yes list
-EcoWatch
-Center for Biological Diversity
-Union of Concerned Scientists
-ScienceNews
-The Young Turks
-Science (American Association for the Advancement of Science)
-World Wildlife Fund
-League of Conservation Voters
-Bernie Sanders’ twitter

No list
-Breitbart
-Fox News
-Trinity Broadcasting Network
-Christian Broadcasting Network (700 Club)
-NRA
-Rush Limbaugh
-Lars Larson (This guy is actually my dear grandmother's neighbor and I've talked to him before. Nice enough guy in person, but don't listen to his radio.)
-Donald Trump’s twitter
I love you how you basically call Fox News viewers poorly educated. You are a very biased here. You also do not include CNN, MSNBC, CBS, etc. People that watch Fox News (like myself) understand the difference between news and opinion programming.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts