Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a 1985 110 with LT95, Fairey overdrive, and Isuzu 4BD1, and it was running engine oil in the gearbox when I bought it, which is normal spec. About 5,000 km’s ago, I switched to Redline MT-90 in the transmission, transfer case, and Fairey. It’s GL-4, safe for soft metal synchros, and viscosity is equivalent to 10w40. Synchro performance has been excellent, significantly smoother shifting, and it doesn’t shear like engine oil does in gearbox use. I expect it should last longer and provide better protection for my aging gearbox. It’s expensive ($60/gallon), but in my opinion very well worth it.

Here’s the specs:

https://www.redlineoil.com/mt-90-75w90-gl-4-gear-oil

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
MT90 is alright in an LT95, until its sub-zero ish. In such I find that my LT95 becomes a reluctant shifter with MT90. MTL is better year round, particularly in multi-season climates. If one were in a temperate to warmer climate, then MT-90 would be an excellent choice. However, for the same money, I suggest using a transmission fluid that works well in a wider range of conditions.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MT90 is alright in an LT95, until its zub-zero ish. I find MTL to be even better year round.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
MTL is definitely another great choice. I talked to one of the engineers at Redline before I used their products and he recommended I go with the MT-90. It’s closer to the viscosity of the original motor oil spec. That being said, I live in Georgia, and I’m seldom experiencing sub zero temps. If I lived in a colder region, I’d definitely go Redline MTL.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts