Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
  • I grouped wires into smaller expandable braided sleeve based on function i.e. fuel or 02 to make it easier to troubleshoot down the line. Rated to withstand temps up to 257F (melt temp of 400F).
  • I resourced new exact match relays and placed the guts into the waterproof housing you see.
  • All Deutsch connectors (minus the weatherpack for the stepper motor and the OE for the speedo). Decided to change the O2 sensor connectors to Deutsch as well.
  • All wires are cross-link SLX or GLX depending on the location. Rated to meet or exceed SAE J1126, Ford ESB-M1L85A, and Chrysler MS-8900 specs. The wire is rated upto 60V DC and withstands temps up to 257F.
  • All wrapped in split-sleeve rated to withstands temps up to 200F.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Despite being from different sources, the connecters were easy to resource compared to the ground-insulated wires needed for the 02 sensors -- that took a while.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Nice work I like it. What Brady printer are you using? I have a couple of the old TLS 2200 units but supplies are not as plentiful as they used to be.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you considering selling this as well? Your work is beautiful.
Thank you. No, I haven’t considered making these to sell — a few people have asked and I’m entertaining the idea. It’s labor intensive, as it took me three weeks of off and on work to finish this loom. The one great thing is the peace of mind — I won’t have to wonder If I have a faulty ECM wire, which will make troubleshooting much easier in the future. From that perspective, I’d recommend the upgrade to everyone.

If I had to price one out to sell, it’d be expensive. The connectors, the terminals, the wires I use are all top quality because I don’t want the final product to fail three years from now — I mean the nickel-plated terminals on the Deutsch terminals are something like .30 cents each. There are companies out there that’ll make looms to order from across the pond for about $300 or $400. They were my first stop, I actually bought one. When I saw their mediocre work and the average quality of parts, I decided I wanted to spec-out my own parts to last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts