Defender Source Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
@volleymdut Here is an in-progress picture of one of Scott's speaker panels that I'm installing it in my ROW D90. It's very solid, well made and easy to install. It was less than an hour to get it put in.

I don't have the fancy trim under the alpine windows, but it looks great.

View attachment 446647

Full write up and final pictures on my stereo install in a week or two, but I'd strongly recommend this panel as a good place to put speakers.
Love to see photos of the finished panel if you're done.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Looking to start fabricating the next run this week upcoming, still time to join the group if you're thinking about it. For those that have enquired, please confirm your orders.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Upping the game...

Have you ever been frustrated, fumbling around in the back of your truck at night trying to find something in the cargo area? Even with a brighter dome light, it's still WAY too dim.

Problem solved. Now available on the rear speaker panel is an LED option. Simple, and effective. The inset LED's can be wired to the door switch or dome light to activate with the opening of your doors, or to a separate switch to light up on demand. The photo below shows how well the cargo and rear step area are illuminated. Note that there are no interior lights on, this is light from just the 3 LED's. Available in Cool 6000k, Natural 4000k (as shown in photo) and Warm 2700k, (Blue, Green, Amber and Red are also available). Lights are installed wired to a common power and ground. All connections are soldered for dependability. The LED option can be added to any speaker panel order for $65. Just completing a run of panels now, and for the first time have upholstered 2 in the Genuine Ripple Grey.

Next group run is in the works. Please post or PM if interested.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
The LED option has been popular! I have 5 panels in for upholstery that should be done early next week. It takes a few days to install the LED's, wire up and package everything up.

Since that group started production, I've had several enquiries for the next group run, so I'm looking for people to join.

PM with questions or interest.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
You need to make one of these for my double cab roof...........
That is a REALLY nice DC you have!
I've been racking my brain for some time now to figure out a solution for the double cab and 130. Biggest challenge is mounting. With that roof being a curved back, there are no mounting points for a panel, added to that it's weight with speakers is close to 10 lbs. so it needs to be really secure. Not to say it's impossible to come up with a solution, but it would be a very evasive one. Lots of modification to the headliner and roof, more than could be put into a DIY kit. Doesn't mean I'm not going to stop trying to figure some solution.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Next panel run is starting next week.

Still opportunity to join, post or PM with interest.

Last run had a really nice black Alcantara panel with LED's, the Ripple Grey is popular as well.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Spring run of panels is coming together. The LED option seems to be a popular ad on. Of the last 10 panel's only 2 have been non LED. (I actually had to wait on a backorder of the lights in the last group, so now I have stocked up!)

PM or post if you are interested in getting on this run.

·
Registered
34 Posts
this looks great, i'm very interested but i'm embarassed to admit that i can't figure out how to PM you... i went to your profile page but there isn't a button to PM... can you message me?

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
this looks great, i'm very interested but i'm embarassed to admit that i can't figure out how to PM you... i went to your profile page but there isn't a button to PM... can you message me?
Not to worry! I'll PM you all the details and you can reply. You'll see a red dot next to your profile icon, upper right, scroll down to "Conversations" and you'll see my PM.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Just a heads up that there will be a pause on panels through the summer, and possibly into the fall. After spending our whole lives in Vancouver BC, my wife and I sold our house and are making the move with our 2 sons to the rural life in the Comox Valley. It's on Vancouver Island, (a 1:45 minute ferry trip and a 1 hour drive from Vancouver) great rural location 10 minutes from the town of Courtenay.

We are looking forward to getting away from the city to acreage, and I am really looking forward to the 2000 square foot shop! (the 2 car garage shop is getting a little cramped!). It's a blank canvas, so it's going to take a bit to get all my machinery and power set up, I'm thinking early fall, as we are moving July 31.

Meanwhile, I have a couple orders on the go, and production will be running through the first part of July. If you are looking for a panel, PM me and I'll get you on the list before I sut down for the move!

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
The shop isn't finished yet (I wonder if it ever will be!!??) However, I'm now up and running for. I'll post a few pictures once I clean things up a bit. Building a media room and guest accommodations on the 1000sf. mezzanine, and am partitioning off the back portion of stables and storage. Highbay LED lights are all done, most of the wiring is in for 110 and 240V outlets. Wood stove is in and working, and insulation has started...

I'm now taking orders for speaker panels. Upcoming run to be completed by the end of November. I will reach out to those that have enquired and have been waiting patiently.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts