Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Premium Member
11,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The center console combined AC and heater unit for the middle row and rear passengers that will be ideal for a 110 or 90.

Obviously the compact 5,500 KW Heat/AC unit will reside inside a new console, but shown here for illustration purposes are a few photos, so you can compare the size to a standard cubby box.
Please excuse the glare.

Step 1 find a good quality AC/Heat unit powerful enough to heat and cool the middle row and small enough to fit in a custom center console cubby box.
If my measuring is correct there will be room for 2 compartments: one for the Heat/AC unit in the bottom and one for a little storage space in the top under a fold over lid.

Check on step 1.

Step 2 design the center console and have a prototype manufactured.
I think the standard cubby size is a place for forgotten junk anyway, so a smaller more shallow cubby isn't all bad.
The good news is there will be a place for some storage.

In progress.

More to follow as the busy schedule allows.

Attachments

· Registered
1,807 Posts
I kid you not, I was just looking at center row modifications, and this idea came to me -- one minute later, I'm here and I see this build.

Following.

· Premium Member
11,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
man when you called I thought you had it all hooked up. Maybe that was Newman's driving, threw me off.
Your senses were dulled at the time.

I kid you not, I was just looking at center row modifications, and this idea came to me -- one minute later, I'm here and I see this build.

Following.
Good minds think alike!

· Premium Member
11,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
There is absolutely no reason why the middle row and rear passengers should do without the comfort of heat and AC.

Am making a list of requirements and the first 4 that came to mind were based on what I don't like about the cubby consoles currently on the market:
1.) Try and incorporate a drink-holder tube deep enough to actually hold a drink, water or beer bottle, that actually holds it instead of having it fly out when you turn the corner or hit a bump off roading.

2.) Have the top lid open side to side with 2 doors like an outside cellar access on an old house.
The design of a single lid that opens front to back and protrudes into the rear passenger area is just annoying.
The flimsy bull **** lid stops last about a day before they break and the whole top flips back where it can be easily hyper extended and broken.

3.) Actually have the top of the new cubby high enough to act as a real bonafide arm rest.

4 Try to incorporate a place to hold a cell phone that also will actually hold it without allowing it to sling out, landing in odd places when you take a corner or are off roading.

Anyone have additional suggestions?
The beauty of all this is the ability to collaborate.

· Premium Member
11,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Had some time to put some thought into how to mock this up.
Am going to mount the unit in position on the center seat box cover with enough extra refrigerant and heater hose to allow the center seat box cover to be removed and the whole unit positioned out of the way.
Once the unit is mounted in position, then will make a cover assembly that is held with 4 quick release pins.
The cover will look like a center console and have a shallow storage area with a top lid similar to a center console, but with slots in the front to allow the unit to draw in air from the front and blow it out the back through the 2 vents.
The center row and rear passengers will benefit from heat and AC.
The cover and lid will be finished in upholstered vinyl just like a center console.

· Registered
853 Posts
I'm doing something similar on my ls swap. I bought a small under dash unit that fits in the battery box space. 12v heat and cool for about $100. I'll just put a y in the cooling line going to the evaporator on the dash side. I'm swapping the battery to the other side to make room. I'll run the 2" flex duct through the seat boxes / cubby and have 3 outlets for the 2nd row. Fingers crossed.

· Premium Member
11,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

· Premium Member
11,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am using the Ashcroft auto console which I believe is similar to the nas, but don't hold me to that.
Pictures? As long as it doesn't run into the seat base, no issue, or does it?

· Registered
853 Posts
This is the Ashcroft console. Most likely I'll need some kind of a chase inside the seat box to put the ducting in. Obviously I would like to keep the seat box as intact as possible. Sorry, no pic on the seat box bc it is at the painter, but I'll post some stuff as I fumble through it.

Attachments

· Premium Member
11,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally back from the shop.
Provides rear AC and or heat.
Pictures don't do it justice.
Needs to be painted, have a latch fitted, and the padded top manufactured.
It is tall enough to act as a real arm rest, and has a storage compartment inside above the AC-Heat unit.
Drink holders are tall enough to keep the bottle or can from slinging out when you turn a corner!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts