Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find the speedi-sleeve part number for a Series (non-V8) transfer case output flange. Mine is grooved pretty bad. Since new flanges are NLA, I took mine to a machine shop to get it sleeved. He can't find the appropriate one so that is throwing a wrench into everything.

Thanks for any info!

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
If there's one that fits a machine shop should be able to measure the OD of part of the flange the seal rides on and look it up in the SKF catalog, http://www.skf.com/binary/26-128020/11337_2-EN-SKF-Speedi-Sleeve.pdf , or online. If he can't do one or the other I'd find a new machine shop.
Otherwise I would assume there isn't one that will work.

If needed, I can dig out a flange later today to measure if someone else doesn't do it first.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The issue is the length of the Speedi-Sleeve. He says all of the ones in the book are too short.

So there might be an "install" component missing here.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
I've installed sleeves on longer yokes using an appropriate piece of plastic or metal pipe. This is not a totally uncommon problem. The only issue is assuring that there are no burrs that could damage that finished surface.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
The issue is the length of the Speedi-Sleeve. He says all of the ones in the book are too short.

So there might be an "install" component missing here.
If he means the installer is too short, then yeah, he can just use a piece of pipe of an appropriate ID. That's all the install tool really is anyway, though one end is closed. The sleeve itself doesn't need to be very long at all.
Take it to Applied Industrial Services in Tucker. They can measure it and sell you the appropriate Speedi-Sleeve and you can install it yourself. Applied Industrial is pretty good, I get a fair bit from their Lithia Springs location.
Bearings and Drives Inc in Hapeville probably has them as well.

So did you cut the cap end off the sleeve?
The link I provided has the installation information in addition to sizes and part numbers.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tom,

Thank you. The flange is at B&W automotive right now. I'll go pick it up tomorrow at lunch and go find them. Google says they moved to Norcross. Most interesting.

If they offer install services, I'll just get them to pop it in. Otherwise I might have to try and call in a few favors.

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts