Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello some help is greatly appreciated before I mess it up even more.
I was attempting to change the rear flange gasket on my 110 since it was leaking. Took the bolts out of the flange but had a hard time removing the flange. I removed the clip to try and take the half shaft out to get some leverage but still it would move. I then had the great idea of removing the tire and in doing so, the flange came loose but pushed the half shaft in and now I can't pull the half shaft out.

Tried a vice plier and I could feel it move like 5mm ( a little bit of play) but it doesn’t want to come out.

Any suggestions. I did a search and tried raising the other side and moving the wheels but that didn’t work.

Thanks in advanced.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Does the end of the shaft have a threaded hole in the middle? If so, a flange bolt should thread in. Otherwise a strong magnet should grab it. Just make sure everything is in neutral so there’s no load binding in the splines.

Reactions: texasdefender110

·
Premium Member
1969 Ser IIA 300 tdi Hybrid,
918 Posts
I have had to deal with this a few times over the years, once replacing a broken axle trailside on Hells Revenge in Moab. 😂 The shaft is most likely jammed in the carrier due to wear on the splines. Take a large long screwdriver, jam it into the gap between the axle shaft and the wall of the axle tube and rock the truck forward and backward. That should loosen it and it will pop out. I have had one stubborn axle that required me to pull the other axle and use a long rod to slip by the carrier pin and tap out. Zero fun!😑 Hope this helps!😁

·
Read Only
7,284 Posts
Leave the tire on the other side. Jack up from the center and have both the stuck axle side and the tire off the ground. One person works the tire back and forth the other person grabs the shaft and yanks it out.

Tcase in neutral, truck in neutral, handbrake off, front wheels chocked

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing has worked so far. I wonder where is getting stuck. Tried every suggestion on here. Except the taking off the diff cover and check. But nada.
It got pushed in when I removed the wheel the first time. If that helps.
Here’s a picture of what I’m dealing with.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
You sure there aren’t threads inside??

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A very big thanks to all of you that replied. You ideas were welcomed. I was finally able to pull the shaft out. With a bearing puller sourced from Amazon.

I attached the bearing puller in the C Clip place and tighten the two bolts against the drum and it only took like I turn on each side and it came off. Like in 2 secs. Hope this helps future enthusiasts if they get an stuck axle. Attached is the picture of the bearing puller

1 - 18 of 18 Posts