Defender Source Forum banner

Rear drive shaft, |Replace or new u joint?

191 Views 9 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  carlosz
My 87 90 has an issue with the rear most U joint, One side of the u joint cups wont push grease and I'm afraid this is going to be an issue very soon.
A. replace U joints
B. Replace whole drive shaft assembly?

A= Time and about 60.00 worth of parts and mess
B= Fast change and a new shaft about 200.00

What is the consensus? I don't know where to even order the U
joints for the rear, Are they the same as the front?
Reactions: 1
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
If there is no play I might be inclined to leave it.

You can always remove the “dry” cap and manually grease it. It could be that seal is working better than the others.

I grease everything every oil change.
install u joints and be done, rovers north, defenders north west, lucky8 and other US vendors will have them in stock.
I will disassemble today and get to the bottom of this insanity.
And if it IS a bad U-joint, REALLY inspect the rear suspension components- big ball joint and lower control arm bushings in particular. A small bit of axle rotation will destroy a U-joint in very short order.
That’s really good advice. Luckily I changed every last component of the suspension. Everything is new for 1000 miles old.
Take it to a drive line service and they will replace the U-joints for you and balance the unit as well.
I bet a balanced drive shaft would return that magic-carpet-like ride again...
I bet a balanced drive shaft would return that magic-carpet-like ride again...
Any shop in Northern VA? If not, I suppose I could blast it and change out the U-joints. Pretty simple to do.
Any shop in Northern VA? If not, I suppose I could blast it and change out the U-joints. Pretty simple to do.
Northern va supply on Newington road in Springfield will gladly repair your drive shaft to include balance.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts