Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Convert your gas P38 to TDI, We can convert them for you in North Carolina should you want the shop to do it. Cost for conversion is in the region of $7000 plus the kit.

The 2.5 Diesel P38's do about 22mpg around town and about 34 mpg on long runs.

They are 136bhp, but we can provide chips to increase the power.

please visit the globallandrovers website on GLOBALLANDROVERS - Home for more information or email [email protected]

We also have 300tdi kits for Defender, Discovery 1 & 2 and Range Rover Classic and TD5 kits for Defender and Discovery 2

The P38 Kits are £3000 + shipping

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Are you advertising on rangerovers.net and discoweb ?

I don't know if the Range Rover crowd in the U.S. is of diesel conversion mindset though. Most like their gas V8. You might catch a few though.

I already have one Rover converted to Tdi. I swore I would never do that again.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
They sold P38's with the BMW 2.5 diesel in the UK. Got horrible reviews, not sure how it compared to a 200/300 TDi?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Europe and the rest of the world have been more receptive to diesels forever. Just in recent years it seems they are gaining a following in the U.S.

They just got a bad rap in the 70s as noisy, smelly, and slow as tar on a cold day. GM's diesel cars were also crap. They took a gas engine and fitted it with diesel components and they failed.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They sold P38's with the BMW 2.5 diesel in the UK. Got horrible reviews, not sure how it compared to a 200/300 TDi?

Correct, these kits use the BMW 2.5 Diesel, and they are more sluggish than a V8 but with the chip they perform almost as well but the fuel mileage is great.

I currently drive a 2000 RR P38 DSE as my personal car. I get over 42 mpg on long drives at 70 mph using the cruise control, and about 26 mpg around town.
when its in sport mode it can keep up with my friends 4.6V8 vehicle.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Hmmm..perplexed why the hell you would want to do this. My Cally ....with a slipped liner...gets 28 mpg loaded to the max and loves to run around 85.....mostly home from NOVA HH....

·
Premium Member
10,532 Posts
Going to refuse to believe claims of 42mpg out of a RR diesel. That's the kind of mileage a VW tdi owner would be delighted to get
26 mpg imperial was the expected mpg for one of those.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Going to refuse to believe claims of 42mpg out of a RR diesel. That's the kind of mileage a VW tdi owner would be delighted to get
26 mpg imperial was the expected mpg for one of those.
Rocky, I drove from plymouth devon to London (241 miles), all highway driving with the cruise control set at 72mph, at the end of the run i checked my mpg and it read 42.7mpg, yesterday i drove from london to Bransley in yorkshire (162 miles) at a cruise speed of 74mph and had a avr mpg of 41.9. on the way home i drove quicker often well over the limit, in heavy traffic at times and still averaged 36mpg.

and yes Imperial gallon, the only thing we have that's slightly bigger than yours!

in the UK on the devon trip i used 9.333 gallons, in the USA you'd use 10.500 gallons

Depending how i drive i get between 550 and 610 miles to a tank of diesel.

·
Premium Member
10,532 Posts
Does that RR have an on board mpg readout? I've yet to find an accurate one. Cars computers are always generous.

I'll let people do their own math but looking up a 2000 RR 2.5 dse I learned that the fuel tank size is as follows.
Fuel capacity:

90 liter / 23.8 U.S. gal / 19.8 imp. gal

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
The Body electrical Control Module (BeCM/BECM): Demystifying the BeCM

Would be interesting to make a truck into a 1 wire engine but still have all of that to contend with for many of the other truck's functions.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the kit includes the full electrical system from the donor vehicle, all ecu's, the engine /transmission, drivers door, the keys from the donor vehicle. The kit comes ex uk. and can be fitted by one of our agents.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I suggest offering these kits with the twin-turbo M57 diesel which can be sourced domestically in the US new from BMW or from a wrecked BMW 335d or X5 xDrive35d. It produces significantly more power without much of a negative effect on mpg. It will all bolt in the same using the factory P38 bits for the M51. Here's an engine management solution for it: http://www.bodylogicuk.com/index.php/10/327175/. Of course just go a little easy on the pedal since it produces more torque than the R380 is rated for. You could install Quaife's high strength sequential gearbox to eliminate that weak point: https://shop.quaife.co.uk/quaife-land-rover-6-speed-sequential-gearbox.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I suggest offering these kits with the twin-turbo M57 diesel which can be sourced domestically in the US new from BMW or from a wrecked BMW 335d or X5 xDrive35d. It produces significantly more power without much of a negative effect on mpg. It will all bolt in the same using the factory P38 bits for the M51. Here's an engine management solution for it: http://www.bodylogicuk.com/index.php/10/327175/. Of course just go a little easy on the pedal since it produces a little more torque than the R380 is rated for.
You are of course talking about an engine that eventually was able to reach around 430 lbf-ft.. more than double that of a 300tdi. I feel like that would rip up an R380

1 - 20 of 21 Posts