Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing mine tomorrow, what's everyone's opinions on the easiest way to do them? Only have done them on my d2 before, a bit easier. I'll also be changing shocks, springs, panhard, and track rod if it makes it easier without any of those.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
To add to Jeff's comments. When doing the panhard at the same time I find a single ratchet strap helpful to help pull the vehicle towards the drivers side to align the panhard and help with aligning the bolt holes on the front of the radius arms.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To add to Jeff's comments. When doing the panhard at the same time I find a single ratchet strap helpful to help pull the vehicle towards the drivers side to align the panhard and help with aligning the bolt holes on the front of the radius arms.

Good call, that's pretty much what I was looking for.

I'm assuming I'll have to insert the chassis side first and then install the axle side like the trailing arms, is that correct?

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
All good advice...the only thing I can add is to get one of the two bolts in the radius arm all the way in first. That way it's trivial to get the second bolt in via some wiggling with a jack.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
The track rod will need to be removed. Do one side at a time. Chassis end first. Stick a bolt through one of the axle mounts. Walk the wheel forward and back to line up the second axle mount.

Once you get thw radius arms done I'd support the truck under the frame, take the wheels off, and drop the axle down to install the new springs.

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
I'm assuming I'll have to insert the chassis side first and then install the axle side like the trailing arms, is that correct?
Affirmative, always insert the chassis side first and attach the nut. Don't torque down the nut, just get it on enough to prevent the radius arm from falling out.

Watch your noggin :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
I have a couple of old radius arm to axle bolts I've cut short, one longer than the other, and tapered the ends. If I have alignment issues I drive them in from the opposite side from where I'll be inserting the bolts in order to get the holes aligned. Works very well.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Briggs, too late for that :).

I'll give you a shout if I run into a snag.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well it's done...they weren't awful. The front shocks were way worse, what a terrible design, glad I swapped to eyelets all the way around.

Got a ton done this weekend... Just need to install the front locker now

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437964521.374203.jpg

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haha unfortunately he was occupied this weekend. I did everything myself with the exception of my girlfriend operating the lift to get the bumper on. And cleaning :)

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
I'm really glad you swapped everything over to that truck instead of keeping it stock.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts