Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be installing a radio into my 83 110 which has never had a radio and was wondering if anyone knows what kind of harness I need for this job? If there is one how much of a task is installing a radio and speakers on a defender?

·
Premium Member
7,155 Posts
A CB radio or SSB?

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts
I'm guessing he is talking about a stereo. If that is the case you will need to make one yourself off of the pigtail that comes with the radio. Pretty easy stuff for even a novice.

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Depending how crazy you want to get with the install it can be as easy as:

- running a wire wrapped around a fuse (might not be as easy if you have glass fuses).
- tap into the Ign + bundle (white wire), and ground bundle (black).
- speakers are easy to wire, hard to mount.
- You can go all out and run wires from the battery with in line fuses also.

As long as you have a fuse in there I think you will be fine. Consider a marine radio!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am going to put a CB radio in mine - it has a stereo which I plan to leave in. Will probably mount the CB in a to-be-purchased cubby box. Any idea how tough the installation would be?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya sorry should of said stereo but ok so I'm just gonna have to splice some wires, or is there an aftermarket harness I could get

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm guessing he is talking about a stereo. If that is the case you will need to make one yourself off of the pigtail that comes with the radio. Pretty easy stuff for even a novice.
Gonna restart this thread...I have a D90 1986 exmod. there are two ports on the center dash one black, one red...would those help for intalling a radio (stereo)? All the marine radio pics ive looked at never show you the wires coming out the back!

·
Registered
499 Posts
I ran a separate switch and wired the stereo into a power block I have. I don't have the small cubby box in the middle The PO put in a Ford Truck Cubby. It's huge! I love it though. Perfect arm rest, built in Power, and I added USBs in the front. I also have my power block and Radio inside the cubby. It's all Bluetooth so I control it with my phone that's mounted on the dash. It's nice to just flip a switch and use the radio while I am working inside or outside the truck. I don't have to fool around with the keys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts