Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There I was on the sudo home stretch of an engine pull, had just put the radiator in and tightened the hoses up. Oil lines were snug and I figured it was almost time to start adding some fluids. Topped up the oil, even managed to make sure the drain plug was tight. Then I went and took off the bleed plug for the radiator, or attempted to . . . Snapped clean off, plastic piece of junk. Managed to get the other end out, but anyone have an idea of where to get one quick, besides canabalizing one off Pedro! The wife would seriously like her car back, LOL

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
Its a standard npt but cant recall size. Might find a brass plug at home improvement or hardware store in a pinch. Get a brass. Everyone needs to get their plastic plugs replaced. Those plugs are made from head gasket failure plastic.

Plastic radiator plugs are #2 on the "WTF were you Rover engineers thinking" list.

·
Premium Member
10,768 Posts
Ditching plastic crud should be listed right after ditching old oil cooler lines

At under $4 must be one of the cheapest parts at RN.

But free is best

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
I'm pretty sure they BSPP and not NPT, though you can force a NPT plug in as the threads are similar. Trevor at Rovahfarm has the proper BSPT brass ones for $3.50. And he ships priority USPS.

Reactions: Rocky

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
I'm pretty sure they BSPT and not NPT, though you can force a NPT plug in as the threads are similar. Trevor at Rovahfarm has the proper BSPT brass ones for $3.50. And he ships priority USPS.
If you're pretty sure then go with that. I cant remember exact thread but knows it's pretty standard.

·
Premium Member
10,282 Posts
Do not put a tapered pipe plug in it's place, you'll chew up the straight threads.
You can buy a solid brass replacement from RN which is the only way to go.
Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
Do not put a tapered pipe plug in it's place, you'll chew up the straight threads.
You can buy a solid brass replacement from RN which is the only way to go.
Good Luck.
You're right, it's BSPP, not BSPT. Unfortunately I can't go back and fix my mistake, which sucks, especially since I posted Trevor has the wrong plug thread. :(

The new radiator I got a few years ago actually came with a brass plug, but I just went down and tried one from a Disco 1, which I know is BSPP, and it's the same thread.

I'm pretty sure they BSPP and not NPT, though you can force a NPT plug in as the threads are similar. Trevor at Rovahfarm has the proper BSPP brass ones for $3.50. And he ships priority USPS.
Fixing my post as best I can.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Don't over tighten and crush the oring either. I always pressure test mine after install to make sure they aren't leaking.

·
Premium Member
10,282 Posts
I can't go back and fix my mistake, which sucks, especially since I posted Trevor has the wrong plug thread. :( Fixing my post as best I can.
Tom you're cool.
Everyone makes mistakes, even UD...

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I've got some plastic ones you are welcome to. That'll get you on the road for the two days until your brass ones show up. Or just find a rubber expand-o plug from your FLAPS.

·
Super Moderator
12,992 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,992 Posts
Don't over tighten and crush the oring either. I always pressure test mine after install to make sure they aren't leaking.
You can't hurt the o-ring by tightening too much. The o-ring has a containment groove. The o-ring compression is set by the sizing of the groove. Tightening more or less will have no effect on whether it seals or not.

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
You can't hurt the o-ring by tightening too much. The o-ring has a containment groove. The o-ring compression is set by the sizing of the groove. Tightening more or less will have no effect on whether it seals or not.
I get replacement orings for my brass plug from napa. They hv the right size in stock usually in their little oring selection box. Good item to hv in your spares

1 - 17 of 17 Posts