Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Master cylinder appears to have crapped out on my 1994 NAS 90 (again...only lasted about 20k miles!). Anyhow, the dot4 obviously does not react well with paint...and took some off the footwells (inside and out).

As such, normally I don't pull the wing to do the clutch master...but in this case I'm going to since I need to do some touch up.

Anyhow this brings me to my question - anyone find or have a good match for Alpine White that is readily available (ie hardware store, auto parts store, etc)? I have color matched paint in cans at home, but alas I'm not home and the custom paint matching places typically say 3-5 days + shipping time....but I can't have the truck down for a week or more.

Input appreciated if anyone found any *close* Alpine White matches.

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
I have used Krylon dover white in gloss and worked out ok.... not perfect but should be ok for where you are painting... good luck...

·
Premium Member
3,347 Posts
Is there a NCS near you? They should have a color match there that they can put in a aerosol can for you.

·
Premium Member
3,347 Posts
National Coating Supply, our paint and body supply company. Our local one will paint match/take pictures of paint to match along with aerosol if time permits.

·
Premium Member
8,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No NCS, but actually just found a place called Keystone that looks like they can match Alpine White from the paint code (LRC456/NUC or the PPG cross-ref 90991...looks to be Alpine/Saverine White) and have it ready tomorrow. Going to give it a shot, as where I'm painting literally will never be seen anyhow.

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
Jason if you have the paint code APS towers paint will match perfectly Ina great spray can. I have used them for all 6 restos I did and just ordered 4 cans for the new galvy doors on the 110

·
Premium Member
8,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jason if you have the paint code APS towers paint will match perfectly Ina great spray can. I have used them for all 6 restos I did and just ordered 4 cans for the new galvy doors on the 110
My main issue is time constraints...truck is pulled apart for a new clutch master (because the sh*t doesn't last more than 3yrs/20k miles!). It was primed today, and looking to topcoat tomorrow.

The kicker is I have 2 cans of Alpine White sitting in my garage at home that I had made up awhile ago...

·
Premium Member
3,347 Posts
Good luck, looking forward to seeing how it works for you.

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
Not like you are entering the damn thing in a beauty contest! Prime it. Wait till you get back here in September.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
LAV, I have a quart of it mixed up in my basement -- don't know if that helps as it will require spray eqpt. I am about an hour south of you right now.

I sent you a PM with my #

chuck

·
Premium Member
8,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not like you are entering the damn thing in a beauty contest! Prime it. Wait till you get back here in September.
It's the bulkhead footwell that's INSIDE of the engine compartment...already pulled the entire fender skin to access/etc. The goal here is not to win a beauty contest (as I like to bash up my truck), but rather to continue keeping rust at bay. I mean...you can eat dinner off my bulkhead!

Anyhow....picking up the can from Keystone Autobody tomorrow morning so *should* be all set.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Somewhat unrelated, but what brake fluid are you using?
Castrol Dot4 (GT LMA since I'm still hoarding a few bottles of it). However, I sincerely want to consider moving to a silicone-based Dot5 after this recent BS. Speaking of which - has anyone run that in the clutch and/or braking system on a Defender?

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
As far as I know, Castrol LMA is not an ISO 4925 Class 6 fluid, therefore not the same as the Land Rover brake fluid. I think the Castrol is only a class 4 which is not a low viscosity brake fluid. I would recommend Pentosin DOT4 LV.

·
Premium Member
8,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As far as I know, Castrol LMA is not an ISO 4925 Class 6 fluid, therefore not the same as the Land Rover brake fluid. I think the Castrol is only a class 4 which is not a low viscosity brake fluid. I would recommend Pentosin DOT4 LV.
Available for purchase at the dealer? Or are there other alternate locations it is available?

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
Available for purchase at the dealer? Or are there other alternate locations it is available?
Land Rover Genuine brake fluid is backordered at the moment due to an upcoming recall on the front brake hoses of L322 Range Rovers. We have been getting the Pentosin fluid from a local store at the dealership. It is worth noting that the Pentosin website says that their regular DOT 4 brake fluid is correct for Land Rovers, but that is actually not true if you look at the Land Rover spec. It needs to be a low viscosity brake fluid.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts