Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an advantage of push button (roll up) vs lift handle (sliding glass doors) doors? I am looking at road / wind noise, leaks during rain storms, and durability. I am currently running good shape lift hand, sliding glass in my 110 and was wondering if there is a benifit to swapping.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
The best door is a rustless door. If yours are good shape I would keep them.

That being said, I love my roll-ups in the summer - but the internal guides/mechs are just one more thing to rust.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
More a personal preference I'd say.

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
Don't the latest push button doors have one-piece construction and galvanized door skins? Supposedly they have trounced corrosion problems.

·
Premium Member
4,624 Posts
The ST lift handle doors provides ~ 1" more leg/waist room on the interior. It doesn't sound like much, but if you are a big guy, every little bit helps.

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
The ST lift handle doors provides ~ 1" more leg/waist room on the interior. It doesn't sound like much, but if you are a big guy, every little bit helps.
The ST doors are a heckuva lot less complicated than the SW doors as well. Very simple things and a lot easier to rebuild. :thumb::thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
What about comfort while driving. Can you easily rest your elbow in an open window with the lift handle (sliding glass) doors?

I know that was key for my comfort in my old 90. Not sure how it's going to be with my new 109 in building. Little scared to be honest.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
What about comfort while driving. Can you easily rest your elbow in an open window with the lift handle (sliding glass) doors?
I know I couldnt.
In my series, I'd pull the door top off for elbow room.

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts

I do in my split door 110. Comfort is a relative thing.

Personally, I would prefer a set of lift handle, roll up doors to my split doors,; however, my split doors are fully rebuilt so that's what I roll with.

·
Premium Member
13,801 Posts
Is there an advantage of push button (roll up) vs lift handle (sliding glass doors) doors? I am looking at road / wind noise, leaks during rain storms, and durability. I am currently running good shape lift hand, sliding glass in my 110 and was wondering if there is a benifit to swapping.
I like the lift handle roll up window doors-getting kind of rare now

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
What about comfort while driving. Can you easily rest your elbow in an open window with the lift handle (sliding glass) doors? I know that was key for my comfort in my old 90. Not sure how it's going to be with my new 109 in building. Little scared to be honest.
I have lift handles and roll up windows, and can rest my elbow with the window rolled down...but not when it's up.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
I have the (somewhat rare) lift-up handles and roll-up windows. My frames are rusty, so I had planned to go to fiberglass doors with push-button handles. How feasible/expensive would it be to put new frames on my doors? Preferably aluminium or galavnized steel would be preferred.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I have the lift up/roll up, I liked the simplicity of the 2 part doors but the roll up windows are pretty nice. With rarity comes downsides-if your latch is broken as my driver door is, impossible to source a replacement. If someone has one, pm me!

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I have push button roll ups on the 110. I also have the lift handle roll ups; prefer them but don't have the door cards for them.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
I'm a 2 piece guy as well. Just so open and free!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,703 Posts
I've got newer take off rollups on my ST. love them. They are the galvy ones and no issues.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts