Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,486 Posts
first thought is why bother? expensive to buy and maintain..Ive driven a puma...they are dogs at best.. do an LS instead.. youll be much happier.

·
Super Moderator
13,096 Posts
It would be a lot of complicated and custom work and a lot of money.

·
Premium Member
7,486 Posts
I can understand wanting a diesel but would urge you to go drive an LS converted rover before making the leap...Its unlike any rover experience I've had to have that much quiet and efficient power lurking under the hood.

·
Premium Member
11,911 Posts
I would go td5. It has complicated wiring but at least requires less bulkhead work etc. Also drive better than a puma

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Isuzu power! Though it's a lot of custom work:-(

I'm in the middle of my second 500+ mile trip with my 5 speed Isuzu diesel powered RRC and it is AWESOME! Much more driveable than my last diesel swap (300tdi).

I would also enjoy the ls power but there is something special about a diesel!

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Isuzu power! Though it's a lot of custom work:-( I'm in the middle of my second 500+ mile trip with my 5 speed Isuzu diesel powered RRC and it is AWESOME! Much more driveable than my last diesel swap (300tdi). I would also enjoy the ls power but there is something special about a diesel!
Which of the Isuzu diesels?

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
I would go with a late model Td5 (15p version). It's better than the earlier 10p version that suffered from head issues. You can get 200+bhp out of it with an uprated intercooler, variable vane turbo and re-mapping.

The engines and ECU's are cheap and easy to find, parts are easily available.

·
Premium Member
11,911 Posts
fwiw, I find myself agreeing with Barry. I like the tdci dash and the getrag 6 speed but that's where the affair ends.
Never thought I would see the day. Doug agrees with me.

I actually hate the six speed and dash. Six speed blows in traffic because of the low gearing. The puma has great ac/heat but otherwise I think the dash takes away from the simplicity of what a defender is. In building a perfect truck I would rather the td5 dash. Still a ton of plastic but at least the vents open.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
I have a Td5 for sale if anyone is looking! They're quite nice in comparison to the Tdi's most of us are accustomed to.

-Ash

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Engine, anciillaries, ecu and harness, rad, brackets, etc. it would take some figuring, but any engine conversion would. Big advantage is that it's a set up that has been produced in a Defender, so everything is available. Depending on what year you are putting it into some "tweaking" may be involved, but it's not like a one off or anything.

I have had no issues sourcing parts when needed for mine. they are probably the most common Landrover engine in the UK at any auto wreckers right now due to the age.

Must admit I have been very happy with the engine, now a year into ownership. Compared the the Toyota 3B I had in my Land Cruiser, it's way more power, and much smoother.

·
Super Moderator
13,096 Posts
Engine, anciillaries, ecu and harness, rad, brackets, etc.
And gearbox. TD5 is different than other LR engines.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts