Defender Source Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Machining doesn't cost $390. Perhaps putting the truck on a lift, disassembling the rear end, bringing the drums to a machine shop, and then reinstalling does.

We offered to cover the machining as you just mentioned, our warranty does not cover labor.

That being said, and as Arthur mentioned earlier, we would still cover the cost of a machining service(which is typically around $50/drum). The shop locally does it for $40/drum.

Threatening to call the Vermont states attorney and sue us over $50 drums isn't the best way to find a mutually agreeable resolution.

Why would you ship 4 pairs of drums?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
4 drums, not 4 pair. But we sent them to rule out the drums being out of round. Once it was determined to still be an issue, we offered to pay for the machining.

You literally shipped 4 pairs to pick from, not 2 pairs. Because the first pair was bad and so was the second and Arthur decided to ship a bunch. Arthur just confirmed this on the phone a hour ago. And he also confirmed once again that you shipped me the wrong suspensions and had to be returned.

It's time you guys have a meeting over there and get your facts straight.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
You literally shipped 4 pairs to pick from, not 2 pairs. Because the first pair was bad and so was the second and Arthur decided to ship a bunch. Arthur just confirmed this on the phone a hour ago. And he also confirmed once again that you shipped me the wrong suspensions and had to be returned.

It's time you guys have a meeting over there and get your facts straight.

I was actually sitting 10 feet from him when he corrected you on that. 6 total drums = 3 sets.

Again, I am sorry that you are confused about all of this. Not everyone is a mechanic

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
😅

If you're referring where I corrected your first error, 4 drums

If you're referring to the entirety of the two orders we shipped, 6 drums. 4 of which we took back, 2 of which we offered to have machined.

·
Super Moderator
14,318 Posts
Getting drums turned is $10 to $20. If you paid more than that, it is your fault. Literally any mechanic and most auto parts stores can do it.

Reactions: Z.G

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Getting drums turned is $10 to $20. If you paid more than that, it is your fault. Literally any mechanic and most auto parts stores can do it.
No one works for $10 or $20 in Virginia/Maryland/DC.

There are no shops in a hour radius that have the machine anymore with that adapter. This is not a classic car area, if they have a machine they service trucks.

The drums were already installed on the car, Arthur knew that I had to take it to a mechanic that would have to take the wheels and drums off and machine them and agreed to cover all the cost and he was ashamed that they had go thru this. This is the problem. They are selling oval drums knowingly (or they wouldn't have shipped multiple sets).

·
Premium Member
Go Mundo Maya!
385 Posts
GiuseppeM,
this is an opportunity for you to realize that people have been trying to help you with your 30+ year old Land Rover. Maybe you might be better off with a Toyota corolla and a warranty. However, in your own words, Arthur from the beginning offered you inexpensive drums AND also offered to cover the machine costs after you had trouble. And attempted a few times with shipping you more inventory. Any NAPA or truck supply offers this service. YOU choose a shop (twice) that didn’t have the tools to perform what they charged you for.

In the big picture, you have learned about your ROW. If you run around angry and blaming every vendor and every shop near you- where does that leave you when you really need help or the benefit of a shops time? The good news is that your truck stops now, the bad news is that your screwed when you go to have that oil leak diagnosed/repaired- because you’ve burned your bridge.
Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
GiuseppeM,
this is an opportunity for you to realize that people have been trying to help you with your 30+ year old Land Rover. Maybe you might be better off with a Toyota corolla and a warranty. However, in your own words, Arthur from the beginning offered you inexpensive rotors AND also offered to cover the machine costs. Any NAPA or truck supply offers this service. YOU choose a shop (twice) that didn’t have the tools to perform what they charged you for.

In the big picture, you have learned about your ROW. If you run around angry and blaming every vendor and every shop near you- where does that leave you when you really need help or the benefit of a shops time? The good news is that your truck stops now, the bad news is that your screwed when you go to have that oil leak diagnosed/repaired- because you’ve burned your bridge.
Good luck.
Mirra I'm sorry but none of what you said reflects what happened, it's in writing here on this thread.

Why are the drums inexpensive? Rovers North sold me what they carry, I don't get your point. No NAPA or truck supply store has the machine, feel free to call the local shops here.

·
Premium Member
Go Mundo Maya!
385 Posts
Mirra I'm sorry but none of what you said reflects what happened, it's in writing here on this thread.

Why are the drums inexpensive? Rovers North sold me what they carry, I don't get your point. No NAPA or truck supply store has the machine, feel free to call the local shops here.
The steps to ignorance recovery:
1. Buy a repair manual
2. Resource yourself to your community- shops DO know how to turn brake drums, resurface flywheels and do machine work.
3. Gain an Appreciation for vendors that stock parts for 30+ year old trucks that were never sold in this country
4. Face the reality that you drive a old truck that will require repairs. The sooner you learn about lines 1-3, you will drive more and have more fun.
5. consider that maybe an old truck isn’t your jam

21 - 31 of 31 Posts