Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've had 2 different mechanics trying to fix this issue, first mechanic installed new drums but the problem persisted. The part distributor was very helpful but it turns out those drums are not perfectly round and need machining.

Second mechanic machined them but they were still pulsating, I decided to take it for a drive and some hard braking to break in the shoes (installed by 1st mechanic) and it felt like it was gone.

Today I took it for a drive and the problem was back. No vibration on steering wheel (other than being a Defender) but I felt the pulsating on the brake pedal (it feels like an oval motion)

I've had bad front rotors in the past on another vehicle and I could feel it on the steering wheel, that's why they assumed it was just the rear.

What else can it be?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It will go away eventually as the shoes wear. You can try new shoes. Make sure you buy OEM branded ones.
The shoes were new OEM installed at the same time, I thought maybe they took on the imperfection of the drums but that was only like 40-50 miles of driving, what's weird is that it got better and then worse again

Is it pinpointed to the rear drums? Front brakes can pulsate too with warped rotors.
Mechanics said if it was the front you would feel it on the steering wheel, which was my experience as well. But either way they did get better and then worse again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Update: problem persists, I decided to buy a new set of front rotors and pads and had the mechanic swap them. Same pulsating feeling on the pedal. He thinks that it's the drums that are bad so I'll order a new set. The current drums were machined by him but he thinks they are just bad.

If anyone has any idea please let me know

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I was just at the shop, he swapped the front rotors and checked thoroughly the hubs with the caliper. Took it for a test drive and had the same pulsation.

He decided to take the drums off again and shave them more, and that was the problem. Now the pulsation is gone, but he had to machine way too much material.

In the original post I called them "parts distributor" because Arthur at Rovers North promised he would cover the shop cost. Now that is not the sales manager anymore Zack is refusing to refund me. I'll start a thread to explain what's going on with these drums they sell. These drums are so bad that Arthur shipped me 4 pairs for testing, all bad. Now they're blaming me.

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Ok I was just at the shop, he swapped the front rotors and checked thoroughly the hubs with the caliper. Took it for a test drive and had the same pulsation.

He decided to take the drums off again and shave them more, and that was the problem. Now the pulsation is gone, but he had to machine way too much material.

In the original post I called them "parts distributor" because Arthur at Rovers North promised he would cover the shop cost. Now that is not the sales manager anymore Zack is refusing to refund me. I'll start a thread to explain what's going on with these drums they sell. These drums are so bad that Arthur shipped me 4 pairs for testing, all bad. Now they're blaming me.

Yes, it is a shame that we couldn't come to an agreement. Especially after requesting us to pay $390 to cover $80 worth of drums, and sending us an invoice from the shop that says

·
Premium Member
11,693 Posts
Yes, it is a shame that we couldn't come to an agreement. Especially after requesting us to pay $390 to cover $80 worth of drums, and sending us an invoice from the shop that says
Yes, but you didn't authorize the work and agree to cover the associated charges before the work commenced?
How do you know the work was up to the same high standards you approve in general?
Also, RN didn't touch it last!

Reactions: GiuseppeM

·
Premium Member
Go Mundo Maya!
389 Posts
Get a new shop! There are a zillion reasons why your old landrover squeaks, rattles, leaks and pulsates. If this is a truck you’re going to keep- dig in and start learning your way around a tool box. Did they inspect the calipers in front, the ebrake drum and every single rubber bushing in your suspension?? Welcome to the rabbit hole!!! Good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Get a new shop! There are a zillion reasons why your old landrover squeaks, rattles, leaks and pulsates. If this is a truck you’re going to keep- dig in and start learning your way around a tool box. Did they inspect the calipers in front, the ebrake drum and every single rubber bushing in your suspension?? Welcome to the rabbit hole!!! Good luck
Mirra it was the drums. Problem solved. No one around here has the adapter to machine that size, all shops that do that work service big trucks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So the shop didn’t have the right tools and machined the drums out of spec? How does it brake now?
Rovers North is selling drums that are oval, after the first installation I experienced the same pulsation and immediately called Arthur, he told me they're pretty much all oval and need machining, he shipped me 4 pairs to pick the "less defective one" and RN would pay for the machining. I even asked if they could machine before shipping and he said the shop was too far from their office.
Found a shop that has the machine and could do the work, mechanic had to do 3 passes to reach an acceptable roundness (1 additional at first attempt). Now pulsation is gone.

Now Rovers North is refusing to pay for the work.

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Rovers North is selling drums that are oval, after the first installation I experienced the same pulsation and immediately called Arthur, he told me they're pretty much all oval and need machining, he shipped me 4 pairs to pick the "less defective one" and RN would pay for the machining. I even asked if they could machine before shipping and he said the shop was too far from their office.
Found a shop that has the machine and could do the work, mechanic had to do 3 passes to reach an acceptable roundness (1 additional at first attempt).

Now Rovers North is refusing to pay for the work.
Machining doesn't cost $390. Perhaps putting the truck on a lift, disassembling the rear end, bringing the drums to a machine shop, and then reinstalling does.

We offered to cover the machining as you just mentioned, our warranty does not cover labor.

That being said, and as Arthur mentioned earlier, we would still cover the cost of a machining service(which is typically around $50/drum). The shop locally does it for $40/drum.

Threatening to call the Vermont states attorney and sue us over $50 drums isn't the best way to find a mutually agreeable resolution.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts