Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question from a newbie....I have a 1993 90. 200tdi, as I start to replace...I was just curious how much play is ok with propshafts.

B. if I replace... any suggestions on what brand to replace with?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Question from a newbie....I have a 1993 90. 200tdi, as I start to replace...I was just curious how much play is ok with propshafts.

B. if I replace... any suggestions on what brand to replace with?
Are you referring to play in the spline/slip-joint or the universal joints at each end?
The u-joints shouldn't have any play at all and should operate smoothly. The u-joints are readily available and easy to replace. The spline should slide in & out smoothly w/ little to no play in the splines

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I just replaced both of mine with a couple bought through LRDirect. The shafts themselves were fine and eliminated a lot of vibration I was getting. The yoke and the u-joints were problematic.

First, my grease gun had problems fitting on the zerk fitting, and grease went into the u-joint but an inordinate amount slipped past the fitting. I didn't have problems with other zerk fittings and this grease gun, just the ones on prop shafts from LRDirected. I ended up buying a LockNLube, which fixed the problem.

Second, one of the u-joints on the rear prop shaft wouldn't take grease. I cleaned the zerk fitting and tried to free the grease inside but to no avail. So I replaced the u-joints with a couple of Moog. However, the Moog zerk fitting isn't compatible with the rear prop shaft rear yoke - at full suspension extension, the yoke snaps off the zerk fitting. I ended up buying u-joints that have the zerk fitting on the end cap.

Pain in the rear for something that was new.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts