Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having quite the adventure finding proper u joints. At first I bought Meyle u joints, but they were made in China so they went back. So then I ordered Hardy Spicer u joints from lrdirect.com (https://www.lrdirect.com/TVC100010-supplied-by-allmakes-branded-pr2hardyspicer.html), which according to the description are branded Hardy Spicer supplied by Allmakes. But when I opened the package I was greeted by blue Britpart boxes... lovely. On the u joint it says "HSL" and "13.11." Who makes them? Is HSL a company? Are they an OEM supplier for LR? And would you use them?

·
Premium Member
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay so after searching online I guess HSL means Hardy Spicer Limited as per this thread: https://www.landyzone.co.uk/land-rover/prop-shaft-oddities.283983/. I've only seen the GKN ones online which appear to be made in the EU. It looks like Hardy Spicer is an India based company so that's where these must be made. In any case I guess these are the OEM u joints so I shouldn't be upset then. :)

·
Premium Member
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay thanks. I guess I'll just use these though since I have them. Hopefully they'll be fine.

·
Super Moderator
13,094 Posts
IME, life depends on how you use them. Mine always die after a day of driving them through mud and streams. On the road, they should last forever. The big rubber seals on the GKN ones seem to keep the mud out better.

·
Super Moderator
13,094 Posts
Dana and Spicer are the same company and have been since the beginning. It is more a question of which brand of their joints are made to what specs and how well. These mass agglomerations of companies make it very hard to know what is what. Sometimes the old company keeps making stuff to the same levels, sometimes the brand name is stripped and farmed off to god knows where.

Dana Holding Corporation

Anywho. I've bought new Hardy Spicer driveshafts in the past and I usually kill the joints in a year or two. Keeping in mind, I drive a lot of mud and water. I always replace them with the GKN ones and they don't seem to die. My experience on my truck. Your may vary.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Bear in mind the genuine GKN TVC100010 joint uses an oversized trunnion and needles, equivalent to a 1310 Spicer joint in a 1300 size uni.

The Hardy Spicer Australia part number equivalent is K5-A757, the standard 1300 series is K5-LR4. Not sure if/how they correspond to NA part numbers ?

I use the GKN version as, like John I've found they last, and I get them for an excellent price from a local importer/wholesaler.

(I pinched the photo's from an old thread on LR4x4)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
WorldPac sells GKN u-joints here in the US. Any shop or distributor affiliated with them can order them. If you can't find a local distributor to order them from, I can get them and ship them to you.

·
Premium Member
8,969 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,094 Posts
Where are you sourcing the GKN's here in North America? AB or do you have another supplier?
I buy from the UK, wholesale. Much cheaper than any North American source. In general, shipping is cheaper and much quicker when buying things in the UK than the USA for Canadians.

Buying things in Canada is fairly rare as the retailers here have stupid markups.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts