Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88' 110
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My NAS 90 currently has a 3 or 4 inch lift on it, and I'm planning to reduce the lift to 1.5 inches.

How do I ensure I have propshafts that are the proper length to accept the new 1.5 inch lift? And what length propshafts came stock on the 90s? From what I understand the OEM shaft length "typically" will work up to 2 inches of lift.

I'm assuming I'll need to buy different shafts, just want to start to figure the correct pieces I'm going to need for this project.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Give Tom Woods a call, might as well upgrade to 1310 UJ's whilst your at it ;)

·
Super Moderator
13,008 Posts
Just get a stock OEM shaft. They are cheap.

·
Registered
88' 110
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds good. OEM and cheap...that makes it easy.

Fish- Definitely aftermarket shafts. Front is a DC from GBR. The rear is a company I don't recognize...Driveline Incorporated with a 949 area code.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Sounds good. OEM and cheap...that makes it easy.

Fish- Definitely aftermarket shafts. Front is a DC from GBR. The rear is a company I don't recognize...Driveline Incorporated with a 949 area code.
Is the rear a DC? Let me know if you're looking to sell or partial swap for OEM shafts.

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
at the risk of pissing off brett, you can still run the dc rear shaft on the lowered truck.

the only thing that matters on the rear is pinion angle. driveshaft length matters, but the difference between a 4 inch lift and a 1.5" lift is negligible.

·
Registered
88' 110
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the rear a DC? Let me know if you're looking to sell or partial swap for OEM shafts.
Negative on the rear. Just a DC in the front.

I will be looking to sell/swap the existing shafts. I'm still a few months away though. This is probably going to be a winter project when I'm holed up in the garage watching snow fly.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
You might be worrying over nothing, check the plunge on the existing shafts before ditching them.

I don't have a huge lift on the 130, (it's settled to 100mm between the bump stops) but the front has a lot more droop than stock and the front TW shaft is basically what Tom supplies for most all Disco I/II's, RRC's and Deefers dimensionally except for a Defender specific t/case flange PCD.

·
Premium Member
10,771 Posts
Make the change then see how it drives. If fine problem solved. If not you'll know which one needs fixing

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
You can see if they are too long (I think that's your concern) by disconnecting a propshaft at the diff, fully compress it and, while holding it in the same plane as the gearbox output, drop a plumb bob from the front flange of the shaft and see how far back it is from the diff input flange.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts