Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Project Greta has begun converting from my 200tdi to a Cummins R2.8 in my ‘91 90. Pulled the trigger and ordered the engine and adapter from https://quickdrawbrand.com/product/c...e-adapter-kit/ along with new tranny and tcase from Ashcroft.

Hope to have all the components by late February and start the install shortly after.

Still exploring the cooling system but figure we have time.

Plan to pull the in 200 in the next few weeks and clean up the engine bay and cab area in the meantime.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The guys in the shop told me they could save me a ton of money on the repower with this option!

Not sure about the engine mount system.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well things escalated quickly! Since we are this far apart we should do this, and then this and then this...

But on the plus side the frame looks extremely clean and rust free. Two rust spots on the bulkhead near the heater motor, minor rust on the floors and some on the door bottoms. All easy fixes just more time and $.

And looked what showed up from Ashcroft.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Think about sndblasting the footwells. I have had two bulkheads sandblasted recently, what appeared as surface rust was actually revealed to be pinhole sized penetrations. Glad I caught it now, as when clean it is a lot easier to weld up good as new.

Great time to enlarge the heater box inlet size on the bulkhead. Basically port match the heater box to bulkhead. Threads on this and other sites.

Here is what else I do: Run a magnet on a stick tool down the bulkhead lower door hinge holes to see if any old hinge nut pieces stuck down in there. Then Ospho/POR15 inside door hinge pillars, followed by cavity wax.

or just strip and galvanize.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup removing almost everything now. Found more rust behind the clutch and brake assembly too. Plan to sand blast then cut, replace and paint either por15 or similar.

Also power washed inside the frame rails - there was a lot of dirt there - ran water till it came out clean then hit with air compressor. Any recommendations for a product to spray inside the frame rails?

Good idea on the heater box will do.

quick time lapse of the engine removal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts