Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Repair and restore thread for new-to-me 1994 NAS 90, #638. Truck originally Coniston Green (paint code LRC570). According to seller, one of the previous owners converted truck to Series look, and did a Bronze Green exterior respray.

The truck comes complete with what is shown, and an NAS tub with cage, soft top, front cage, and some other bits. I already have a bonnet, NIB half doors, and other items.

The bulkhead needs attention:

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Parrie. Will be shortly going back to cage and soft top.

And guess what I found in the shop (AKA Raider of the Lost Arc LR Parts Storage Vault)?

I knew I had some radios and CD players, but a 94 specific cassette player? I was pleased.

·
Premium Member
6,361 Posts
oh so you bought that

good luck with the build

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ron. Little bit of work ahead of me. Hopefully frame will be set with just a blast and paint, and can either get bulkhead back to good or replace and do the proper 94 mods. This one’s a keeper. Not super rare, but rare enough.

·
Premium Member
11,806 Posts
Thanks, Parrie. Will be shortly going back to cage and soft top.

And guess what I found in the shop (AKA Raider of the Lost Arc LR Parts Storage Vault)?

View attachment 443612

I knew I had some radios and CD players, but a 94 specific cassette player? I was pleased.
My dream

·
Registered
204 Posts
I also talked with seller quite a bit about this truck. Excited to see you bring it back to glory. Watching closely.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haru, Thanks. I have pushed back pick up until Sun due to snowstorm here. Long day up and back. It will be a bit of Birmabright Jenga to load truck, spare tub, roof sides, and roof onto truck and trailer in a way that it won’t damage anything. Yesterday was decent weather so I have the truck and trailer ready, will chains, ratchet straps, and moving blankets all packed up.

Once the truck is here, plan is to first get it driveable and make an assessment of what needs to be done. Hopefully I can resist the urge to start teardown and enjoy driving it this spring. Maybe just a temp patch to footwell.

Funny that that radio is an item of interest. Was in one of the auction lots that Rob Wollsclager and I recently bought.

I did not see the CHMSL bar or light in picture, and did not ask, but maybe it is with the truck.

VIN search does not provide any history, and only a little on CarFax. Will have to ping the dealership and see what docs exist on their networks.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
5:20 Sunday AM. Heading down to the shop to drop off plow truck and jump in tow rig. 5.5 hour up, a couple hours to load and BS with seller, and 5.5 hours back.

Temps will go to 40’s. Light winds and no snow. I-80 to DesMoines then I-35N.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well. Picked it up. It was running nicely when Inarrived. Loaded it on trailer, full of cage parts, and put roof and rack into Ford bed. Made it home no incidents.

Got home about 8:30, wife came out and I started and let her hear it run.

Monday down to shop, about three miles. Got it unchained, and cranked. No start. Ran on starting fluid. Pulled fuel line. No fuel. Fuel in tank. Long story short: one side in fuse holder had fallen off and back. Pulled screws pushed thru, held in place, put fuse in, and she fired right up. Drove up and picked up wife, we did a short joyride. Tracks good, brakes feel good, shifts well, no whines, But clutch pedal does not engage until very high up and clutch slips. Maybe pedal adjust will buy me some time.

Other items:
-Frame has new rear cross, welded on well. But rt side frame is patched up to and forward of spring perch. Damn.
-Where cage bolts to front of wheel arch behind right seat is rotted. Alu rot. Damn. (I knew bar underneath was rusty, but did not know it had blown out that area.)
-when I pulled fuse holder loose, I saw a bunch of scotchlocks and butt splices. Double damn.
-all turn signals inop.

So there is a bulkhead and a frame in my future. And some bribery to my pipeline welding buddy to melt some aluminum for me.

The truck cam with old top and a new(ish) top. The aluminum rails that the top attach to are loose in truck, and there are no indications as to where they were attached.

Does anyone have the proper location document?

Wife was amazed that we could have a conversation at 40MPH with top off. I have her trained to Tdi’s!

·
Mendicant
7,921 Posts
“The truck cam with old top and a new(ish) top. The aluminum rails that the top attach to are loose in truck, and there are no indications as to where they were attached.”

Are you talking about the belt rails that go around the tub or the snap bars for the door area? Something else? I assume you maybe got an old Tickford top (canvas with alpine windows, snaps) and a newer Bestop (vinyl, no alpines, no snaps)?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jim, sorry, been busy, as I suspect you have too. I am speaking of the alu belt rails.

In other NAS news, new clutch, plate, HD bearing and all new brake shoes ordered from LOF Clutch out of UK.

LKY8 had a smoking Facebook deal on an NAS galvy Richards chassis, so that is in the mail, so to speak. Here’s hoping it dimensions out decent, I have had one on a 200 90 before and was not real impressed.

i am going to need the under tub bar and brackets. Originals are rusted beyond repair.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts