Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was tired of not finding many LH side intake options for my LHD 200TDI....so i designed my own to print out on my 3D printer. This is my first prototype. I may put the print file up for sale on some of the 3D files sites, but if any of you want the file to try and let me know what you think, PM me. This cost me all of about 2 dollars worth of filament to print.

Also, please disregard the crappy paint job the previous owner did. I am working to rectify that....

·
Premium Member
3,826 Posts
Great job! Super hard to tell, but the louvers look a little constricting--maybe not. You just don't want too much obstruction to flow is all. Food for thought--may be a non-issue! Can't really tell. It looks like a great prototype, though!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great job! Super hard to tell, but the louvers look a little constricting--maybe not. You just don't want too much obstruction to flow is all. Food for thought--may be a non-issue! Can't really tell. It looks like a great prototype, though!
Thanks! The slots are a lot bigger than they appear but I may double check the volume.

·
Premium Member
10,008 Posts
Awesome job!

·
Registered
2 Posts
What type of print material did you use? I designed a GPS mount to replace the center mounted ashtray in the dashboard and so far with 2 prints down, using a friends printer, both have slightly warped due to heat. I was considering changing over to aluminum but if I can find a good plastic that will hold up there I would prefer to go that direction. Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What type of print material did you use? I designed a GPS mount to replace the center mounted ashtray in the dashboard and so far with 2 prints down, using a friends printer, both have slightly warped due to heat. I was considering changing over to aluminum but if I can find a good plastic that will hold up there I would prefer to go that direction. Thanks
PLA on these first ones. will print the final in ABS. all my abs parts have held up fine in Texas heat.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I printed the upper wing vents in PLA and then lightly coated them in thin resin to prevent warping. They still warped. It's just a matter of time before the printed parts shrink due to heat.

I've also printed several guns in PLA and PETG and they have all warped from heat. I've taken to just making molds in PLA and then skinning them in carbon fiber. Works pretty well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts