Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
'97 LHD 300Tdi 130
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '97 300Tdi only has 72k miles on it but the PS pump is leaking along the center half gasket. I don't see the gasket available separately.

Does anyone recommend resealing with Rightstuff or other gasket maker product?

· Premium Member
1989 D90 ("The Coal Must Roll") | 1997 D110 ("Sweet Coniston Green Bliss")
240 Posts
Assuming that you checked the parts manual for that gasket, I'd use a gasket maker that's at least somewhat heat-rated. Or, bite the bullet and replace the whole pump and keep your current one as a spare as these pumps are common failure items.

· Premium Member
1,563 Posts
there are a couple of vendors on ebay whom offer p/s pump rebuild kits.

· Premium Member
'97 LHD 300Tdi 130
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all the replies.

The pump is leaking without the truck even started. I just filled it after replacing all the hoses and it leaks just sitting there on the lift, and it is not at the shaft seal, so I wouldn't think that leak stop is going to work.

I looked through a few ebay searches and didn't see a kit for my pump. I'll keep my pump in case I come across one and in the mean time I ordered one from RN.

· Premium Member
870 Posts
I had a similar issue, tried the Blue Devil and unfortunately it didn't work for me. Mine was also leaking while not running. I found replacing the entire unit to be the best solution. they aren't too expensive (non OEM) and since you'd have to remove it to rebuild it, might as well replace it with new.
You can rebuild the old one when you have time and keep it as a spare.

· Premium Member
1,563 Posts
stop leak additives and oils can and will do wonders (to a limit) as they swell seals and stop leaks, so as long as the seals are not damaged or dry rotted. if so is the case, then your leaks gets worse. rebuild, overhaul or replace becomes the solution.
on the subject of gaskets such as the one sandwiched on the p/s pump. aside from replacement of gasket or complete assembly, stop leak additives and or oils will not help.

· Premium Member
3,931 Posts
Blue devil for ATF… (not power steering fluid)… 1/3 bottle..
If that does not work.. replace it.. they are a maintenance item really

pumps = replace
Steering boxes = replace with rebuilt (most have warranty…)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts