Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
These parts have to be replaced.

It's an easy job while the shaft is out of the casing.
But first have a look at the shaft's surface ...

while looking for broken needles.

·
Premium Member
7,360 Posts
It's best to do a full reseal of the box. It's a relatively easy procedure that is well documented in the manual and on YouTube. There's one series of 3 videos where goofball gets steering fluid all over creation. However, he does a fairly good job of going through the process. You don't need all the special tools. If you set it up so the shaft resistance is light resistance to turning, you're fine. Get some 600 and 1200 paper to dress up the areas of the shaft(s) where the seals run. The kits contain all the parts for all the adwest steering boxes so there will be stuff left over. If you need to borrow the arm puller, I have one. You pay shipping to and from.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's best to do a full reseal of the box. It's a relatively easy procedure that is well documented in the manual and on YouTube. There's one series of 3 videos where goofball gets steering fluid all over creation. However, he does a fairly good job of going through the process. You don't need all the special tools. If you set it up so the shaft resistance is light resistance to turning, you're fine. Get some 600 and 1200 paper to dress up the areas of the shaft(s) where the seals run. The kits contain all the parts for all the adwest steering boxes so there will be stuff left over. If you need to borrow the arm puller, I have one. You pay shipping to and from.
Thanks Bill. I have access to a pitman arm puller, but thank you for the offer of loan. You've all given me courage to do the seal replacement while it is already off the truck. Ordering a seal kit this AM and won't be able to get to it for a couple weeks, but I'll report back on the results. Everything else feels fine, so here's hoping a seal kit is the trick!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts