Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checked my power steering fluid, and found it to be rather low. The owner's manual says to use ATF Dexron IID. Today, when I went to advanced auto, Dexron IID was no where to be found and the kid working there said to use Dexron III b/c Dexron IID was discontinued or something. I remanin a little skepticle about this advice. Does anyone have any imput?
TIA, mike

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Reviving this thread... have a leak and gonna work to sort it out. In doing so I'll need ATF fluid and since the manual recommended Dexron IID is NLA, what should I use?
There's the Dexron VI or I've read good things about Maxlife ATF...

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
I have had good results with BG products. I use BK44 for fuel conditioner, MOA for oil conditioner and I top up my power steering reservoir with their full-synthetic PS fluid. With that said, none of this stuff is magic so it won’t fix neglect or clean dirty systems. If I had that situation I’d dump and replace the fluid a couple times and then start usIng PG on whatever interval that feels like makes sense. I don’t advise using heavy cleaners to make up for neglect.

·
Premium Member
4,245 Posts
Also —for your leak—some of us swear by blue devil. But you have to use the one for transmission because were using transmission fluid in their power steering. It helps with leaks. It depends on why it’s leaking, but if it is due to hardened seals, it helps a lot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts