Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Land Rover calls for Dexron IID, which is no longer available.
Autozone system recommends Dexron III which is also no longer available or hrd to find.

I see Dexron VI readily available, I have also seen Maxlife ATF suggested as a replacement.

·
Premium Member
11,464 Posts
Have only used the red colored ATF for the past 2 or 3 decades.

Reactions: Roverchef and sheki

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all, just wanted some confirmation.

·
Premium Member
4,245 Posts
You have the one LR steering box that doesn’t leak? Lucky.
I know I am tempting fate when I say such hogwash, and probably jinxing myself. But I used Blue Devil several years ago and frankly swear by the stuff. you have to use the Transmission formula which makes sense and not the power steering due to the use of trans fluid. But if it’s due to hardening seals as opposed to wear, it seems to be fn fantastic.

parked here for months. And YES, it’s full.

and yes, it’s LHD, lol.

·
Super Moderator
14,115 Posts
Anything resembling a low viscosity hydraulic fluid will do.

If you live somewhere that gets cold a synthetic ATF really helps if you like be able to steer.

Reactions: sheki

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know I am tempting fate when I say such hogwash, and probably jinxing myself. But I used Blue Devil several years ago and frankly swear by the stuff. you have to use the Transmission formula which makes sense and not the power steering due to the use of trans fluid. But if it’s due to hardening seals as opposed to wear, it seems to be fn fantastic.
View attachment 474494
parked here for months. And YES, it’s full.

and yes, it’s LHD, lol.
I saw your original post from the @Uncle Douglas thread from years ago about the Blue Devil... bottle just arrived today!
The leak seems to be coming from the pump, where the hose (that gets an O-ring) bolts onto the pump.

Does anyone know if it's possible to replace that O-ring without having to remove the pump? (@Red90 @Uncle Douglas @rdavisinva , etc...)

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I saw your original post from the @Uncle Douglas thread from years ago about the Blue Devil... bottle just arrived today!
The leak seems to be coming from the pump, where the hose (that gets an O-ring) bolts onto the pump.

Does anyone know if it's possible to replace that O-ring without having to remove the pump? (@Red90 @Uncle Douglas @rdavisinva , etc...)
Yes it's possible. The o-ring fits on the end of the hardline just under the nut. If you don't see the oring on the end of the line when you pull it off, then it's still in the pump, and you'll need to fish it out with a dental pick or some such.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes it's possible. The o-ring fits on the end of the hardline just under the nut. If you don't see the oring on the end of the line when you pull it off, then it's still in the pump, and you'll need to fish it out with a dental pick or some such.
Awesome, thank you for that confirmation... I have a new O-ring on the way.

... I used Blue Devil several years ago and frankly swear by the stuff. you have to use the Transmission formula which makes sense and not the power steering due to the use of trans fluid.
I ordered a bottle and added 3oz while topping up the fluid. I gave the steering wheel a few full rotations to lock in both directs and it hasn't leaked since. I haven't driven the truck since adding the Blue Devil as the interior has been removed but I'm a fan of the stuff so far.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts