Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks, do you all recommend getting my new hinges powder coated prior to having them painted? I would like them to be the same color as the truck and from what I have found custom color powder coating is super expensive but I could have them powder coated a flat black prior to painting or is that not a good idea and I should just prime with self etching primer and then paint? As always the advice is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1994 NAS D90 Portofino ST #4
521 Posts
I would prime and then paint to match your doors. However, I have seen a couple of trucks (Portofino red and AA yellow) that had them powder coated black and they looked pretty nice with the contrast of the body paint. It's a personal preference thing, but you can't go wrong either way.

Cheers!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would prime and then paint to match your doors. However, I have seen a couple of trucks (Portofino red and AA yellow) that had them powder coated black and they looked pretty nice with the contrast of the body paint. It's a personal preference thing, but you can't go wrong either way.

Cheers!
Thanks for the feedback. I have a lot of other black accent pieces so I just don’t want too much contrast.

·
Mendicant
8,483 Posts
I have switched to powder coating exclusively on my hinges. I’m lucky in that two of my trucks are RAL standard colors which are easy to match but no one will ever sand and prep a hinge as well as a bead blaster will. And paint is never as evenly deposited as statically charged powder. I’m sure there is some genius out there that paints a good river hinge, but I’ve never had the good fortune to find one and the expensive powder coater I use charges me 12 dollars to blast and coat a hinge. If there’s an issue or it gets chipped I just get it redone.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have switched to powder coating exclusively on my hinges. I’m lucky in that two of my trucks are RAL standard colors which are easy to match but no one will ever sand and prep a hinge as well as a bead blaster will. And paint is never as evenly deposited as statically charged powder. I’m sure there is some genius out there that paints a good river hinge, but I’ve never had the good fortune to find one and the expensive powder coater I use charges me 12 dollars to blast and coat a hinge. If there’s an issue or it gets chipped I just get it redone.
Powder coating seems pretty tempting. If I have too much contrast going on can one paint over powder coating?

·
Mendicant
8,483 Posts
Yep, I’ve been having paintnapplied extensively over powder coating, it’s great. In fact it’s my go-to for galvan parts. After galv, the re-blasting evens up the finish and there are special powder coat formulations for galvanized steel. I trust the powder coater to brush blast and select the correct powder more than I trust the paint guy to select and properly apply the correct methods to pain over galv.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yep, I’ve been having paintnapplied extensively over powder coating, it’s great. In fact it’s my go-to for galvan parts. After galv, the re-blasting evens up the finish and there are special powder coat formulations for galvanized steel. I trust the powder coater to brush blast and select the correct powder more than I trust the paint guy to select and properly apply the correct methods to pain over galv.
Good idea Jim, where do you go for powder coating. I'm ready for my hinges to be done

·
Mendicant
8,483 Posts
I take all my stuff to ASCO in Manassas. They’re large enough that all their equipment actually works, unlike some smaller shops I’ve been to that don’t actually have the equipment to get the best results.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Powder coating seems pretty tempting. If I have too much contrast going on can one paint over powder coating?
Yes, just make sure you prep the powdercoated surface well. By that, I mean rough up the surface with some sandpaper (probably between 120-200 grit) so your new paint has something to anchor to. The liquid paint will likely peel off very easily and quickly if you don't prep that nice shiny smooth surface before you apply your paint. One advantage to powercoating is your vendor should be able to just do a zinc rich powdercoat primer to the hinges that you could then top coat with your liquid paint of choice. The zinc rich option is akin to a galvanize and should give you some good corrosion protection. (just make sure you don't remove too much of the powdercoat when you do your roughing up with the sandpaper or you will loose that benefit).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great to know, thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts