Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
I’m with theOneTen. Check first. And not a bad idea at all to treat a known symptom prior to bottom end. Frankly, other than the rear bolt on a gems, it is super easy to do a HG insitu, but I’d pull and put on stand to do bottom end seals and bearing check which has minimal to do with cooling loss. I live in CO, and it WILL put strain on your engine/cooling. So make sure it’s in good order, but don’t assume it’s the engine— could be radiator if you haven’t flushed it or even hose leak that dries before you drip but makes you lose pressure. I’d do a system pressure test around 18psi on your coolant, a block test using aforementioned fluid, and see what those two tell first. And if its been a while, get your radiator cleaned. If you have never done that, consider doing it.

I’ve been plagued with heating issues at altitude and believe I have a lot of expeience— not due to typical situations, but because I have an off-road trailer/pop-up that I have to tow along due to some medical issues involving needing batteries at altitude…so pulling weight up steep trails and passes over 9000’ in rarified air (which cools way less) has been a struggle on 3.5/3.9/4.0/4.6 engines and I’ve done them all.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts