Defender Source Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
So after I wrote that it occurred to me that there might be a variable that I didn't take into account. Both of the Noco units (my GB70 and the other guy's GB150) were cold as they were in our trucks outside. It's possible that the roadside assistance dude just picked up the JNC660 from inside storage so it may have been warm. In the future if I anticipate a cold start problem I'll warm my jump pack up before attempting to use it, that might help a bit. Wish I had been more scientific in my approach but I just wanted to get my truck started so I could drive home!

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
I've had great luck with the XP-10. A friend of mine cranked his V-10 Ford Econoline van with his.

·
Registered
167 Posts
FWIW....I used a gb70 to start a not-obviously-failing battery in the dead of Wisconsin winter's about 20 times before replacing the battery on a 230k mile 200tdi.

In fact, I always keep a gooloo in my diesel grand Cherokee but coming back from Colorado today at the airport it was scheduled to be below zero when I landed. I took the gb70 as well just in case. Turns out it started without either but I wanted to be prepared.

Of course the best preparation is just installing an Odyssey battery and never worrying again.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Yes, actually I have a funny story about that one. Last winter I was traveling for work and was staying in Alamosa CO, which gets pretty darn cold in the winter. I knew that my starter was not doing well before I left on my trip (turning slow even though the battery was fully charged), so anticipating a potential problem I took my NOCO GB70 with me.

Well, sure enough I had insufficient juice to even turn the starter, so I hooked up the GB70 which allowed it to turn slowly but not enough to fire (200tdi at about -10 degrees). I called for roadside assistance. While I was waiting there was a guy there who had a fully charged GB150. I thought that was pretty amazing because I was too cheap to buy one of those myself, and I figured that being twice as powerful the GB150 would almost certainly get me going. Well, we hooked that up and it was no more effective than my GB70.

Then the roadside assistance guy shows up with nothing more than another jump pack. I was pretty skeptical, given that two of the NOCO units including the biggest, most powerful one had already failed to get me started. We hooked it up and surprisingly the engine cranked noticeably faster and started. The jump pack he used was one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Clore-Automotive-Jump-N-Carry-JNC660-Starter/dp/B000JFJLP6/ref=sr_1_2?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImKP-g7yu5gIVQyCtBh1StAZIEAAYASAAEgJ65PD_BwE&hvadid=213927605666&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9028782&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=14522846123979940392&hvtargid=kwd-361411063357&hydadcr=24659_9648993&keywords=jump+n+carry+950&qid=1576097329&sr=8-2

So my testing showed the JNC660 to perform better than the NOCO GB150. So I think what you might be getting with the GB150 is just more reserve capacity rather than CCA, which is what I really needed. My GB70 has worked just fine in the past to get me started in the desert after my fridge runs the battery down. After this experience though, if I were to replace it I'd go with the JNC660 even though it takes up a bit more room. The ultimate solution in my case was to install one of Robert Davis' starters, those things are the bomb!
I bought that pack when I had a diesel Jetta that was killing its battery. Worked great.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Used my Gooloo 600 to jump my friend's LR3. The jump pack hadn't been charged in like, 3 months. Just been riding around in the car. Lit up first time.

The jump did kill it all the way, but that is the trade off. Also this jump pack is 2.5 years old and basically neglected. It does work when it needs to. So pretty awesome.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts