Defender Source Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Costco sometimes has some good deals on jump packs too. I ended up with mine because my battery died in the parking lot of Costco. Luckily it came with enough juice to get me going.

·
Super Moderator
12,443 Posts
Somebody would be smart to make these as basically a power inverter, that could be installed in a car (like I have an inverter installed that has 2 AC outlets and 2 USB ports) but with a built in battery and jumper capabilities so it stays attached to the car battery as a power inverter at all times, but if the car ever dies, you can take it out and use its internal battery to jump OR if you are camping, you can take it out and use it as a portable power pack!
There are lots of ones like that.

Example: https://www.amazon.com/STANLEY-PPRH5-Professional-Power-Station/dp/B0051SO7JQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1531753412&sr=1-6&keywords=portable+power+bank+jump+starter+120v

·
Registered
395 Posts
That's basically what I am taking about but that is HUGE, not really portable in a throw in your backpack sense.

My inverter is the size of one of these small jumper packs. You would thing at MOST both combined would be double the size of one of these packs which is still as portable as a hardcover novel.

From a review " word of caution -- if you are thinking that this is a cute little portable unit you can take with you on backpacking trips, think again. It's big, bulky and heavy."

·
Registered
395 Posts
20lbs must be lead acid vs lithium of the new jumper packs.
Exactly. I have a big lead acid jumper box (which is basically a car battery in a box). Brought it on my recent excursion to block island and was great, but SOOO heavy and clunky.

I want the same thing but in Lithium that can be kept on my car battery as an inverter, but easily disconnected and used for jumping, charging a phone, powering a fan, etc.

·
Super Moderator
12,443 Posts
That's basically what I am taking about but that is HUGE, not really portable in a throw in your backpack sense.

My inverter is the size of one of these small jumper packs. You would thing at MOST both combined would be double the size of one of these packs which is still as portable as a hardcover novel.

From a review " word of caution -- if you are thinking that this is a cute little portable unit you can take with you on backpacking trips, think again. It's big, bulky and heavy."
The little li-ion packs do not have a whole lot of energy storage for the use, so it does not make sense. You need a decent sized battery. To do it with li-ion would be too expensive so all the options are lead acid. It is perfectly fine for our use.

For backpacking...you are not taking 120V AC devices....

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Gooloo 600A here. Got it super cheap a year ago off amazon when it was on sale for like, $30 or whatever. Justed it a few times, its a champion.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Wonder what would happen if I lift the thing permanently plugged into my power inverter in the 110...

Inverter only turns on when I flip the switch (usually if I am charging something) and is hardwired to my battery.

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Somebody would be smart to make these as basically a power inverter, that could be installed in a car (like I have an inverter installed that has 2 AC outlets and 2 USB ports) but with a built in battery and jumper capabilities so it stays attached to the car battery as a power inverter at all times, but if the car ever dies, you can take it out and use its internal battery to jump OR if you are camping, you can take it out and use it as a portable power pack!
They do. Look on indigogo or Kickstarter for names.

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Gooloo 600A here. Got it super cheap a year ago off amazon when it was on sale for like, $30 or whatever. Justed it a few times, its a champion.
I also purchased this Gooloo 600a on Amazon Prime day last year. Last month, it started my D a dozen times, D3 a few times (yes, I purchased two LR batteries on the same day) and have tested on my diesel boat (small 25hp Kubota block. Purchase and your jumper cables became obsolete. Gooloo makes a few sizes.
https://www.amazon.com/GOOLOO-Starter-Portable-Battery-Booster/dp/B01N3142JE

·
Registered
395 Posts
So my Yellow Gooloo 1000a jumper just doesn't cut it when my battery is completely zonked.

Thinking about getting one of these. Pricey but much more power. Anyone try one of these 150s??

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
So my Yellow Gooloo 1000a jumper just doesn't cut it when my battery is completely zonked.

Thinking about getting one of these. Pricey but much more power. Anyone try one of these 150s??

Yes, actually I have a funny story about that one. Last winter I was traveling for work and was staying in Alamosa CO, which gets pretty darn cold in the winter. I knew that my starter was not doing well before I left on my trip (turning slow even though the battery was fully charged), so anticipating a potential problem I took my NOCO GB70 with me.

Well, sure enough I had insufficient juice to even turn the starter, so I hooked up the GB70 which allowed it to turn slowly but not enough to fire (200tdi at about -10 degrees). I called for roadside assistance. While I was waiting there was a guy there who had a fully charged GB150. I thought that was pretty amazing because I was too cheap to buy one of those myself, and I figured that being twice as powerful the GB150 would almost certainly get me going. Well, we hooked that up and it was no more effective than my GB70.

Then the roadside assistance guy shows up with nothing more than another jump pack. I was pretty skeptical, given that two of the NOCO units including the biggest, most powerful one had already failed to get me started. We hooked it up and surprisingly the engine cranked noticeably faster and started. The jump pack he used was one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Clore-Automotive-Jump-N-Carry-JNC660-Starter/dp/B000JFJLP6/ref=sr_1_2?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImKP-g7yu5gIVQyCtBh1StAZIEAAYASAAEgJ65PD_BwE&hvadid=213927605666&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9028782&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=14522846123979940392&hvtargid=kwd-361411063357&hydadcr=24659_9648993&keywords=jump+n+carry+950&qid=1576097329&sr=8-2

So my testing showed the JNC660 to perform better than the NOCO GB150. So I think what you might be getting with the GB150 is just more reserve capacity rather than CCA, which is what I really needed. My GB70 has worked just fine in the past to get me started in the desert after my fridge runs the battery down. After this experience though, if I were to replace it I'd go with the JNC660 even though it takes up a bit more room. The ultimate solution in my case was to install one of Robert Davis' starters, those things are the bomb!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Very interesting. Was thinking of doing one of those big packs. While the Gooloo or Noco are super easy to store and use, I just have not been convinced that they will jump a dead, cold, old 200tdi. My Gooloo can't.

Guess it's time to get one of the big lead acid packs like that JNC660

41 - 60 of 65 Posts