Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys like for a portable jump starter? I was looking at Clore Automotive.
I want one with a lot of juice (amps).

thanks

·
Premium Member
352 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,952 Posts
Tried a couple of different ones thy were garbage, returned and went with the Microstart XP10 described above - it’s been fantastic.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
I have a NOCO Genius Boost HD GB70 2000 Amp unit. I like the size but haven't had a reason to use it other than to recharge cell phones during the last power outage. I've had it for about 1 year and it was still fully charged when I took it out.
Jim

·
Premium Member
7,263 Posts
just as a follow up when we returned after the hurricane we had 4 cars in storage with dead batteries. Including the L322 which is notoriously hard to jump start (had a parking lot attendant at the airport with a full size jumper pack try several times and it just clicked) this thing literally jump started all of them and still had 90% charge to spare. I looked at the Xp10 but the Gooloo has the same 18000 mah for a third of the price..

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I've got a small Gooloo unit. Then again, all of my vehicles have small engines...

Doesn't work if the battery is toast. But if you leave the light on overnight or whatnot, then it works just fine. One thing I like about the Gooloo unit is that it takes the same charger as an android phone. So re-charging it is easy, even on the road. I just break out an extra phone cable and let it re-charge. In my hatchback, I just get one of my 12V android chargers, plug it into the 12V port in the cargo area, and let it go. Had to help out some random dude on a recent road trip, so no skin off my back to recharge it in the back while on a 5 hour road trip.

I've used it once on my friends 2.5NA diesel 110. Worked just fine.

If possible, get one that can overcome a dead cell in a battery. It won't do that. Same 2.5NA, later under testing, we saw that when cranking, the voltage dropped BIG time, down to like, 3V from 12.4V. So we figured the battery was full on dead. The little jump pack couldn't handle that.

Also tape a little sign on the unit saying "TRY ANOTHER GROUND". Last time I tried using it on my Toyota, I killed the jump pack battery. Come to find out, my ground strap in the car was crap. When my neighbor came by with jumper cables, I had the same problem. Moved the ground jumper clamp to the engine block, fired right up. If I can remember, this week I'm going to leave the lights on the Toyota and try the box again. Just to see what happens.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Happy Turkey Day gents. Great price on the Gooloo at Amazon today...$52.49

GOOLOO 800A Peak 18000mAh Car Jump Starter (Up to 7.0L Gas or 5.5L Diesel Engine) Portable Power Pack Auto Battery Booster Phone Charger Built-in LED Light and Smart Protection https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HPCB2FW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_bhVfAbWVG427N

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Happy Turkey Day gents. Great price on the Gooloo at Amazon today...$52.49

GOOLOO 800A Peak 18000mAh Car Jump Starter (Up to 7.0L Gas or 5.5L Diesel Engine) Portable Power Pack Auto Battery Booster Phone Charger Built-in LED Light and Smart Protection https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HPCB2FW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_bhVfAbWVG427N

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk
John swears by this unit and this is a killer deal! I'll be buying one today! Thanks for the heads up. Hard to beat for $52.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I’ve gone over 8 months without charging my XP10, still had plenty of juice...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
883 Posts
I got one!

My wife's account, so she paid and it will ship to her. I can't wait to tell her how much money I saved, which is typically her strategy with me.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts