Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My service engine light is on and i need to turn it off.
does anyone have a picture of good description of the box i need to push in the pin into to turn it off.

this is the reminder for service the Cat's i believe.

No codes on my read out from the ECU.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
It is a brown relay behind the gauges / instruments panel. I just removed the relay. As someone put it in another thread on this subject, I don't need a light to tell me when to service my D90...

·
Premium Member
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just to be helpful for anyone else.

the way you do this is

1) remove gauge panel (4 screws)
2) locate the brown relay labeled "emmisions control reminder" or something to that effect it is large and the only brown one on the left side of the internals of the dash
3) in the middle of the sticker on the top there is a hole that you need to insert a pick into and trip the relay (or kill it that remains to be seen)
4) test by turning on ignition and see the light go out
5) reassemble the dash (4 screws)

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Can anyone chime in if that is the same process for a '97?
In a 97 it is down by the fuse box (not behind the dash). If you have small hands you might be able to get it out without taking the console out, but we end up taking the console out to get to it.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Just for anyone's reference on my '97 I found it's mounted to the back of the fuse box panel underneath the dashboard and A/C unit, so you need to unscrew the fuse box panel to get to it. I don't see how anyone could get to it without removing the console yet alone the fuse box panel. As you can see in the photo of the brown relay there seems to be actually two holes, the one on/under the LR sticker is not the one that leads to the reset button. I found, after removing and disassembling the Emission Maintenance Reminder box, that the other hole you can see in the photo just to the left of the LR logo is the one that goes to the reset button. Of course resetting it is easy as you just need to poke a small screwdriver or something of the like through the hole in order to press some sort of reset button, I found that on the first hole I tried, my screwdriver went quite a ways in which didn't seem right. With the correct hole, the reset button, or whatever it is, is not far into the relay box itself so you'll know if you hit the right one or not. The pics I believe really help explain. So that's how you reset the light in a '97, it's a bit more complicated than it sounds with lifting the console out of the way and unscrewing the fuse panel; also a bit of a PITA for a light that just comes on after 80,000mi so hopefully the local dealer can make a few hundred or more bucks! It was funny to me that they make the Service Engine Light come on after a certain amount of time like this, as my engine is relatively new!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Thank you for the detailed info on the 1997- pictures are great. I have been trying to find that thing for a while now. What a pain in the ass to get to - guess it will have to wait until I have another reason to take all that apart.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I just got into this myself, and after jacking with the relay box for an eternity, I wound up just pulling the light. As old as my truck is and as brittle as my dash is, I should have dissabled the light first anyway.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
So for a 97 the brown box is below/behind the fuses. And for a NAS 95 it's behind the 'idiot lights'??

And is the service engine light the same as the CEL?

Mine came on after part of my exhaust cracked off just after the header and before the O2 and cat.

Will this brown box reset button do the trick?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Good job. You won't pass inspection here in Connecticut if your check engine, service engine lights don't come on then turn off during engine startup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
I am trying to find the service light reset box on my 1993 Defender NAS 110. Before I check some of these places mentioned above in this thread, does anyone know where this box is most likely located? It came on at about 106,000 miles. Thanks in advance!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts