Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1990 MOD Tithonus with the 6 way light switch on dash and 20 blade fuse box. I'm tracing non working brake lights. Does anyone know where else the stop light switch lives? I don't have a switch on the back of the booster as expected as shown in picture.

Initially my turn signals didn't work, traced to a blown fuse so they work now. then noticed the brake lights non functioning. Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
fwiw I'm using a mix of wire diagrams to trace including the Tithonus diagram with the 6way switch but shows less fuses (possibly older glass fuses) and the 1991 onwards without the 6way which does show the 20 fuses but each at different amps.

Grounds in rear as well as from battery to relevant chassis/engine points look good. Just need to get to brake switch to continue testing. Don't see power at relevant fuse(s).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,693 Posts
Have seen a few that had a bracket on the inside bolted to the bulkhead that held a switch that fitted up against the front side of the petal lever so it made contact when the brake petal lever moved forward by pressing the brake petal.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can usually see the wires though, seems odd.

Only other one I've seen is at the brake junction on a series truck.
Ya mean these wires, ha. Found these hanging outta the bulkhead, being a 12/24v radio truck, it has handfuls of unused wires. Single green/purple and double green/yellow..and another single green amongst several other unused. Maybe it was modified for a different switch set up inside as again, rear of brake tower has nothing on it..just an empty hole where a switch would go.

I jumped them but only triggered the upper tail lights, not the lower brake lights. I'll stick an endoscope camera up inside and behind bulkhead tomorrow to further investigate as Robert pointed to. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,693 Posts
If you have the brake light inside mentioned in post 7, you'll see it by looking between the brake petal and where the petal box meets the bulkhead. It will be on the back side. Wish I had a picture to post up, but I don't.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I am still confused by upper tail and lower brake light comment. Uppers should be brake and tailights, and lower lights are turn signals.

Not knowing any history, was the brake switch taken from booster bracket for another truck by previous owner? The pic he posted clearly shows the location of switch.

RD, had no idea about other locations. Good info!

If those wires send power to a pair of wires in back, regardless of what lamps light and what position switch is in, then add a switch, route wires to correct location, and send it.

·
Premium Member
11,693 Posts
I realize there are a lot of cooks in the kitchen, but I think if there is no interior brake switch on the petal inside, then the stock Defender switch likely could be added to the back of the petal tower under the bulkhead.
Military Defenders have all sorts of different light configurations when compared to non-military vehicles, so it's possible that all is wired correctly or if needed you could connect the 2 existing wires to the newly added switch and then sort out the connections in the rear so the correct lights in the rear function as expected.
Since we have not seen a picture of the rear lights, there is no telling what you have back there as pointed out by KGH, so this is the best advice I can supply with the information provided.

·
Premium Member
11,693 Posts
When you jumped the 2 brake light switch wires under the dash at the upper bulkhead, which 2 rear red lights came on?
When you turn on the lighting switch dial, which rear red lights came on?
Which ones are suppose to be the red brake lights (bright) and which ones are the red parking lights (dimmer - not as bright as the brake lights)?

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When you jumped the 2 brake light switch wires under the dash at the upper bulkhead, which 2 rear red lights came on?
When you turn on the lighting switch dial, which rear red lights came on?
Which ones are suppose to be the red brake lights (bright) and which ones are the red parking lights (dimmer - not as bright as the brake lights)?
when I jumped the wires the top lights came on. I believe these are the parking lights. I was hoping the lower lights lit when jumped but no.

When I turn the dial to first posotion 'T' for tail, the top lights come on. I am pretty certain the lower are the brake lights next to the directionals.

Recall this all started when my turn signals failed. It was the fuse at 11 that was blown and I think it's shared with the stop light. But fuses 9, 11, &15 all show some type of stop light. (see pic post #2.

·
Premium Member
11,693 Posts
Which lights are brighter, the top or the bottom?
Or
Do you not know because both actions turn on the top lights?

The puzzle pieces are starting to be visualized and I am working on a solution.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Is the bottom one not a fog light? Do you have matching lights on both sides?
Well, being process challenged, i failed to turn on my fog lights focusing so hard on wiring..guess what, they're the bottom ones.. the tops have to be tail/break. My assumptions were dead wrong.

And yes Robert, good call on the brightness difference, I didn't notice running back and forth but the top lamps do get brighter when jumped and now it makes more sense. Thanks.

Now that that part is figured out..

·
Premium Member
11,693 Posts
Ok, so if you add a brake light switch to the back of the brake petal tower and hook it up to the 2 loose spade connections you previously jumped, it stands to reason that you'll have brake lights that function properly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts